Here you can read our definitive guide on closed rhinoplasty, also called scarless rhinoplasty, including information on what to expect, how it is applied, recovery and after care, prices, plus top best surgeons for a closed rhinoplasty in Istanbul and Turkey with free consultation.
Notice: Please bear in mind that the content on our page is for informational purposes only, it is not suitable for you to consider in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases, and you should definitely consult your doctor for any diagnosis and treatment.
What is Closed (Scarless/Endonasal) Rhinoplasty?
A closed rhinoplasty is a medical nose surgery that alters the appearance of the nose. It is a different procedure than traditional open rhinoplasty. Closed rhinoplasty, appropriate for any type of corrections, reshaping the tip of the nose, shortening the nose, or getting rid of a bump or dorsal hump where corrections are made to the nasal cartilage, bone, and septum, as well as requires a more precise technique and making fewer incisions to minimize scarring.
The surgical method involves accessing inner nasal structures via the nostrils and making absorbable incisions inside the nose with a reduced recovery time and easier post-procedure period than in open rhinoplasty. With the advancement of technology and scientific innovations, rhinoplasty operations are now performed without scars. The closed rhinoplasty is minimally invasive, therefore, there is less recovery time.
Advantages of Closed Rhinoplasty in Turkey?
Rhinoplasty in Turkey is one of the best in the world. Turkey and its top cities Istanbul, Antalya, Izmir and Ankara are renowned centers for cosmetic and aesthetic surgery. Turkey offers very reasonable prices, quality of service in its world-class clinics and surgeons with the latest technology, quality, and affordable healthcare.
Majority of the medical tourists visit Turkey for rhinoplasty and nose job from especially the Middle East, Gulf and European countries for cosmetic and aesthetic operations. Turkey is also in the list of top 5 countries in the world for the cosmetic and aesthetic procedures, as well as full range of cosmetic surgery, surgical and non-surgical treatments.
Closed rhinoplasty is more suitable for those who want to enhance their look, with a reduce impact of the procedure. In closed rhinoplasty, many problems related to breathing and any of the structural changes can be provided. These problems are; deviated septum, low nasal tip, nasal bone curvature, nasal arch, nasal wings problem, and nasal ridge problem. Along with these, many other problems are also treated. If necessary, cartilage tissue transplantation is also provided.
- The soft tissue and skin part of the nose is not touched from outer surface, and the operation is scarless, thanks to the fact that small and thin incisions are made inside the nostrils with the help of surgical instruments. Because the scar is made from the inside of the nose, this surgery is scarless.
- The patients feel okay with no symptoms of drowsiness.
- There is no swelling, bruises or post-op discomfort.
- The procedure is pain free.
- Closed rhinoplasty takes a shorter time.
Pay Attention to:
- Safety: Closed rhinoplasties are generally considered safe. However, they should only ever be performed by a trained, board-certified plastic surgeon.
- Convenience: The procedure itself typically takes 1 to 3 hours.
- Efficacy: Close rhinoplasties are permanent procedures that can correct dorsal humps and narrow the nose tip or bridge of the nose.
What is the process before closed rhinoplasty?
As in all other types of rhinoplasty, patients are examined thoroughly for the closed rhinoplasty, too, to determine if there is any medical history, functional problems in breathing, or if there are any physical problems and how the patient prefers it.
Then, the doctor determined the surgical method that is going to take out. Afterward, 3D simulations are used to determine the best shape for the patient. The surgery takes place when the patient is under general anesthesia.
How does a closed rhinoplasty work?
General anesthesia, is always used for closed rhinoplasty. Once the anesthesia is in effect, the surgeon makes the incisions inside of the patient’s nose.
The process will then begin through tiny cuts inside of the nostrils. The process includes reshaping, shaving, or adding bone via bone graft. With the help of stitches, the shaping will be complete.
At closed rhinoplasty, there is only small plaster applied, there is no cast, no tampon or silicone is needed!! The operation typically takes from 1 to 3 hours although this duration depends on the patient’s situation whether there are any underlying conditions in their nose or not.
In a closed rhinoplasty, the nose isn’t opened completely, therefore the nasal structure isn’t seen from the outside, and only a few incisions are made inside the nostrils. The surgeon does the surgery through the narrow through narrow openings in each nostril.
In addition to no visible scarring, the closed rhinoplasty procedure is fairly quick and does not result in a lot of swelling or a long recovery. For this reason, pick a board-certified skilled ENT surgeon for your rhinoplasty surgery. Do your research well, ask for their portfolios, look at before/after photos of other patients, and read the reviews written online about the surgeon.
Who is the ideal candidate for a closed rhinoplasty procedure?
You are an ideal candidate if this is going to be your primary rhinoplasty or if you are unhappy with the appearance of your nose. The surgery is recommended for those over 18 years of age. However, if there is a medical injury or an exception, those younger than 18 can also go under surgery.
What is the average recovery associated with a closed rhinoplasty procedure?
The average recovery time is 4-5 days for patients who will have their surgery abroad. Patients can return to their work immediately after they return their countries. However, serious precautions as doing heavy exercises at gym need to be taken off for a month.
Are there any potential side effects of a closed rhinoplasty procedure?
Closed rhinoplasty has very low risk of complications. There is no known side effect after the surgery.
What is the process after closed rhinoplasty?
- After this surgery, the length of stay of the patients in the hospital is only one night. Local patients can be sent to their home within same day. For foreign patients, because of the flights, average length of stay is 5 days.
- There is no silicone, cast or tampon applied after the surgery. Patient can go out next day of the surgery with a simple plaster. These plasters will drop in couple of days by themselves.
- Since aesthetic sutures will be placed in the nose of the patients, these sutures dissolve on their own and do not need to be removed. It is normal to experience mild swelling and edema for the first 48 hours after the surgery. These will go away on their own.
- Patients can return to their daily lives after 1 week or 10 days. During the first week after the surgery, it is recommended that patients lie high and use at least two pillows under their heads. On average, it takes 6 weeks for patients to begin to recover. You can take a bath 3 days after the operation.
- Patients should not do heavy sports and stay away from sunlight for two months. Sunglasses should not be used for about 2 months, a hat should be preferred instead. Protective creams should be used for at least one month to protect the nose from the direct effects of sunlight.
Recovery and Results
There will be bruising and swelling after the surgery which will take about 2 to 3 weeks to heal. Follow-up meetings with your doctor will be scheduled to see everything is going well. Once your bandages are removed. Your final results will emerge after the bandages are removed in a few weeks when swelling and bruising have dissipated.
Side effects to be aware of include: breathing difficulties, bleedings, a numb or asymmetrical nose, scars, allergic reaction to anesthesia, prolonged bruising, postoperative deformities resulting in the need for a second surgery.
After a closed rhinoplasty: Patients generally have a cast or splint to support their noses. It will be kept on their noses for a few days, about five to seven days, but it will be removed in a week.
Preparing for a closed rhinoplasty: As a patient, when consulting with your surgeon after an appointment, make sure you discuss your situation and expectations before your rhinoplasty and inform your doctor whether you are on any kind of medications or supplements.
Best Surgeons for Closed Rhinoplasty in Istanbul Turkey
We are Istanbul insiders that were born and lived in the city for more than 40 years, and here we only suggest the proven and top rated ones with the patients’ comments. If you are planning a trip to Istanbul, already in the city or living as expat, and want to have a very well organized closed rhinoplasty, we would recommend our picks. Check them below.