Last Updated on January 10, 2021
Here you can find detailed information and answer to the most common question “How to get from Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) to Istanbul city center, and vice versa?”. We listed all the transportation alternatives including our own insider advice, to help you plan your trip between Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) and Istanbul city center with ease.
Some Practical Info & Advice
* Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) is situated on the east of Istanbul, in the Pendik district, on the Asian side.
* Average distance from the SAW to major Istanbul city center districts is about 45 km.
* Some distances to the districts; Avcilar 67 km., Ataturk Airport 56 km., Bakirkoy 51 km., Besiktas 44 km., Eminonu 45 km., Galata 46 km., New Istanbul Airport 85 km., Kadikoy 30 km., Kartal 11 km., Kavacik 35 km., Levent 45 km., Maltepe 22 km., Maslak 48 km., Pendik 9 km., Sisli 45 km., Sultanahmet 45 km., Ortakoy 45 km., Taksim 44 km., Tuzla 8 km. and Uskudar 36 km. To see SAW’s exact location, see the Istanbul airports map.
* It takes about 100 mins to get to Istanbul city center from SAW.
* You can travel between Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) and city center directly by;
- IETT Municipal Public Bus,
- HAVABUS Airport Shuttle,
- Shared Shuttle,
- Private Shuttle.
* The HAVABUS Airport Shuttle is the most practical way, the Shared Shuttle or Private Shuttle is the most comfortable and convenient way to travel between the airport and central Istanbul.
* Public buses is the cheapest but the most uncomfortable and hard way, one route costs about 3,5 TL or 7,0 regarding the route.
* Taxis cost about 170 TL from Sabiha Gokcen Airport to the Istanbul city center within 50 km.
* Pendik district High Speed/Suburbian Train Station, within the Gebze-Halkali (Eurpean side) line is about 14 km. to Sabiha Gokcen Airport, you can take public buses or taxis from the Pendik Train Station.
* For getting to Sabiha Gokcen Airport from city center; we recommend you to arrange your time as to be at the airport at least 1 hour for domestic flights and 2 hour for international flights from New Istanbul Airport.
* Regarding the minimum transfer time of average 1,5 hours plus 30 minutes possible traffic, etc, you should take your transfer to Sabiha Gokcen Airport from city center, at least 3 to 4 hours before your flight.
* You can read our below pages with district/neighborhood specific “how to get” guides.
- How to travel between Sabiha Gokcen Airport and Taksim?
- How to travel between Sabiha Gokcen Airport and Sultanahmet?
- How to travel between Sabiha Gokcen Airport and New Istanbul Airport?
SAW Airport Transportation Map
How to Get to/from Sabiha Gokcen Airport / City Center?
There are several good options to get to Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) from the city center and to the city center from the SAW, such as municipal public buses and shuttles specifically routed for SAW, taxis, shared or private shuttles.
There is no direct metro line for Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW). You can see details and insider recommendations below. The IETT (Municipal) public buses and HAVABUS shuttles operate in between several districts of Istanbul and the Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW).
by IETT Municipal Public Buses
The IETT Municipal Public Buses operate on a regular fixed route departing many destination from the city center.
* IETT Public Buses currently have 10 lines with details below. For more information and timetables, visit the Istanbul Municipality Public Buses website.
- E3 line 4.Levent – Sabiha Gokcen Airport
- E9 line Bostanci – Sabiha Gokcen Airport
- E10 line Kadikoy – Kurtkoy – Sabiha Gokcen Airport
- E11 line Kadikoy – Sabiha Gokcen Airport
- 16S line Sabiha Gokcen Airport – Metrobus Uzuncayir
- SG1 line Kadikoy – Sabiha Gokcen Airport
- SG2 line Taksim – Sabiha Gokcen Airport
- 132H line Pendik High Speed Train Station – Sabiha Gokcen Airport
- 131C line Sultanbeyli, Umraniye – Sabiha Gokcen Airport
- 122H line 4.Levent – Yenisehir – Sabiha Gokcen Airport
Municipal Public Buses take 2 tickets price (3,50 TL x 2 = total 7,00 TL) or 1 ticket price 3,50 TL, regarding the route, and you can pay by IstanbulKart, which is the public transportation card for Istanbul.
by HAVABUS Airport Shuttles/Buses
The journey takes about 45 minutes for Yenisahra, 1 hour for Kadikoy and 1,5 hours for Taksim, but it can vary according to the traffic density.
You can pay CASH or by ISTANBULKART (Istanbul’s Public Transport Card). Credit card is not available.
* It takes about 1,5 hours, but it can vary according to the traffic density.
* One Way Ticket Price: 18 TL
SAW to Taksim
* Buses operate between 04:00 am. – 01:00 am., in every 30 minutes.
* Stops: Sabiha Gokcen Airport – Kavacik – FSM (2nd) Bridge – 1.Levent – Zincirlikuyu Metrobus stop – Dolapdere – Taksim
Taksim to SAW
* Buses operate between 03:30 am. – 01:00 am., in every 30 minutes.
* Departure: Taksim Gezi Park Metro Exit. See location map
* Stops: Taksim – Besiktas – Bosphorus (1st) Bridge – TEM Access Road – Sabiha Gokcen Airport
* It takes about 1 hour, but it can vary according to the traffic density.
* One Way Ticket Price: 14 TL
SAW to Kadikoy
* Buses operate between 04:00 am. – 01:00 am., in every 30 minutes.
* Stops: Sabiha Gokcen Airport – TEM Access Road – Yeni Sahra – Kadikoy
Kadikoy to SAW
* Buses operate between 04:15 am. – 00:45 am., in every 30 minutes.
* Departure: Kadikoy Pier Public Bus Stop. See location map
* Stops: Kadikoy – Yeni Sahra – TEM Access Road – Sabiha Gokcen Airport
* This is the Kadikoy-SAW HAVABUS passing from the Yenisahra Metro station, for the passengers using the Metro line to Yenisahra.
* Departure hours from Yenisahra is between 04:30 am. – 01:00 am., in every 30 minutes. See Yenisahra Metro Station location map
* It takes about 45 minutes, but it can vary according to the traffic density.
* One Way Ticket Price: 14 TL
Read more from our HAVABUS Sabiha Gokcen Airport Shuttles page.
Notice: Please double check the HAVABUS routes, timetables, trip fares and payment options from HAVABUS’ official website on havabus.com as all changes frequently due to this pandemic year’s situation.
by Pendik Metro, Sea Bus or Train
The Pendik Metro Station (from Kadikoy), Pendik Sea Bus Port (from Yalova) and Pendik Train Station (High Speed Train and Marmaray Gebze-Halkali Suburban Train) is located about 14 km. from Sabiha Gokcen Airport.
For getting to Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) from Pendik, you can take the Public Bus 132H line. The metro line is planned to be extended to SAW. Check the Istanbul Railway Network Map for the stops.
There are usually taxis queuing for customers at Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW). Ask the taxi driver how much your journey will cost beforehand. A metered trip with a taxi to/from central Istanbul generally costs about 170 TL for a distance of 50 km. and takes approximately one or 1,5 hours depending the traffic.
Taxi fares in Istanbul is; taximeter opening fee is 5 TL and 3,1 TL per kilometer. There is no day and night difference. You can calculate the approximate taxi fare for your journey with this formula. SAW also have an airport taxi.
Read more on our Istanbul Taxi Guide page for Istanbul taxis.
by Private & Shared Shuttles
If you are a group or a family with kids or having lots of luggage with you, than we highly recommend you to take private shuttle transfers for your hotel as they offer a fixed rate, comfortable and safe transfer that include meet-and-greet airport pickups and luggage assistance to your hotel from the airports or vice versa.
The IETT or HAVABUS airport shuttles will drop you off at the city center and you’ll need to take a taxi or walk from there again which will harder for you with your kids and luggage. But private transfers drives you just to the entrance of your hotel.
As for private shuttle transfers, we highly recommend Tranigo(a Turkish company operating since 1996, and partnered with renowned names like Hertz, Thrifty, Budget, and many reliable and efficient local suppliers) as we recently booked with them had a great trip to our hotel.
It offers low-priced, fixed rate private shuttles that include meet-and-greet airport pickups and luggage assistance. Their large selection of comfortable taxis, minivans, luxurious cars and 6-19+ passenger minibuses can match any need while ensuring quick and safe travels to and from Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW). And they are faster and more comfortable than shuttles, buses and taxis.
COVID-19 Coronavirus Prevention and Safety Measures
The safety and health of the guests and the drivers is a top priority. They guarantee that all the vehicles are cleaned and disinfected in accordance with the World Health Organization’s guidelines against COVID-19.
Below you can click on the destination you need an airport transfer or make a search from the search box under to find your prefect private or shared shuttle transfer service in between Sabiha Gokcen Airport and your hotel.
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport <-> Sultanahmet (Old City)
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport <-> Taksim (Beyoglu)
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport <-> New Istanbul Airport
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport <-> Kadikoy – Atasehir – Bostanci – Umraniye
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport <-> Yenikapi – Aksaray, Laleli, Beyazit
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport <-> Besiktas – Ortakoy
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport <-> Sisli – Mecidiyekoy – Bomonti – Caglayan
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport <-> Bakirkoy – Yenibosna – Zeytinburnu
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport <-> Karakoy – Galata
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport <-> Sirkeci – Eminonu
- Sabiha Gokcen Airport <-> Levent – Maslak – Etiler – Zincirlikuyu
Hit Us in the Comments Below
So have you enjoyed an easy and comfortable travel from Sabiha Gokcen Airport to the city center, your hotel?
If you have questions about getting from Sabiha Gokcen Airport to city center, and vice versa, or any comments about how we can improve this resource, please please hit us up in the comments below.
We are always here to answer any question you’ll have about traveling between Istanbul Airports to city center, even the most ridiculous ones.
And don’t hesitate to join the Sabiha Gokcen Airport Transfers discussion here, as you can ask any questions, complaints, happy moments, and chat with thousands of patients. So fire it up!