Who doesn’t want that feeling when looking at the mirror with satisfaction thinking of how you feel happy and beautiful? Thanks to the developing technology, there’s no doubt that cosmetic surgery has come a long way that aims to improve an individual’s appearance, self-esteem, and view of life. It’s become one of the most popular surgeries giving life-changing results. Many cosmetic surgery options are available for everyone applying to any part of the face and body. However, cosmetic surgery is a serious thing that shouldn’t be taken lightly. This article will explain why you should choose a certified surgeon, how to find the best one in the field, and what to consider. Scroll through to find out more about it.
Things to Consider
Choose the Best Surgeon for the Right Reasons
Before undergoing cosmetic surgery, it’s essential to reconsider and reassess everything, and so as not to have a surgery for the wrong reasons, like for your insecurities, for example. If it’s due to low self-esteem and flaws you may have, you can always consider getting some counseling.
When choosing the right surgeon, be clear about your motivations and wants.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Will I feel happy about my after-surgery look?
- Am I choosing plastic surgery to please myself or others?
- Am I feeling comfortable with my communication and asking my questions to my surgeon?
- Are my expectations realistic?
- Are you undergoing surgery due to low-self esteem or negative self-image?
- Am I aware of the potential surgical risks and post-op recovery or healing process?
- Have you thought about the non-surgical alternatives, too?
What Makes the Right Surgeon?
Your choice of surgeon is of utmost importance if you consider cosmetic surgery. An inexperienced surgeon will yield additional costs, time, and unsatisfactory results, causing an unavoidable impact on your entire life and your emotional state. Also, consider that cosmetic surgery has many different areas requiring different skills.
Finding a board-certified cosmetic surgeon who has plenty of substantial experience in the field is critical to getting the results you desire. It’s equally crucial to ensure the operating facility is accredited, too. Therefore, have a face-to-face interview and consultation with the surgeons and dare to ask your questions to them.
What to Ask a Surgeon?
- Are you board-certified? Ensure your cosmetic surgeon is board certified.
- Do you have extensive experience in the field?
- How many times have you performed this procedure? Ensure your surgeon is skilled and has performed similar operations many times.
- How many procedures have you performed overall?
- Is the operation setting a fully-accredited operating facility?
- What kind of training have you gone through?
Tip: Ensure you’ve done your research well, read the interview reviews, and contacted the surgeon’s previous patients who had experience with she/he before.
Tip: If you are considering having your surgery in Turkey, you can ensure your surgeon is certified by EBOPRAS (The European Board of Plastic Surgery) or ABPS (American Board of Plastic Surgery).
Tip: Ensure the nurses and anesthetists are certified and qualified, too, which is indispensable for your safety during the surgery.
Choose a surgeon with an appealing sense of aesthetics
No wonder your surgery will give you a new outlook and transform your body. Before undergoing any cosmetic surgery, it’s always important to research the surgeons and compare their Before & After photos, then pick the best that appeals to you most. Ensure the surgeon, and you have similar tastes in beauty.
Tip: For example, if you are considering undergoing facial surgeries, find patients around your age with similar features and look for their B&A photos to give you some ideas. Similarly, looking for patients with a similar body type is essential if you are considering breast surgery. And compare the before and after photos.
Tip: Ensure consistency in the photos, reviews, and results.
It’s important to be comfortable with the surgeon and the staff
Although it’s not always spoken out loud, it’s essential to feel comfortable with the surgeons when you’re conversing with them. Remember, surgery is a big deal and shouldn’t be underestimated. Never shy away from asking the surgeons how the satisfaction rates have been with their previous patients.
Questions to Ask Yourself:
- Do I feel comfortable spending time with him, asking my questions to this surgeon?
- Do I trust him when he’s suggesting what’s right for me?
- Do I feel OK telling him my medical history and habits?
Choosing the Wrong Plastic Surgeon
Suppose you don’t do your research well or choose the surgeon because of their low fees or discount options, likely. In that case, a wrong surgeon who doesn’t have the skill, enough experience, or training in the field may cause plenty of surgical interventions and complications.
When that’s the case, and if you’re not happy with your results, you will need to find a qualified surgeon to correct the defects and fix the mistakes that the previous surgeon caused. Remember that kind of revision surgery is a more expensive procedure.
The customer service they give matters, too!
It’s your sole wish to be served and treated well as soon as you arrive at your surgeon’s office or the facility.
Questions to Ask:
- Have the staff or personnel been friendly towards me during this whole time?
- Have they given me clear information about the fees or package?
- Have they prepped me for the risks and provided me with the needed materials?
- Have they been courteous when I contacted them?
- Have they been prompt in their replies whenever I contacted them?
Always Maintain Realistic Expectations and Be Crytal Clear About Your Goals
It’s unavoidable that with the advancement in social media and technology, anyone can see their favorite celebrities’ photos closely, and they may want to look just like them. When that’s impossible, they will be set unrealistic expectations, which may lead to some disappointment. Always remember that surgery isn’t magic at all times.
Yes, improving your appearance is magical, but keep your expectations realistic. In other words, don’t expect some impossible outcomes. Always discuss with your trusted doctors effectively when you meet them. Ensure to communicate what image you expect. Also, listen to your doctor, too. As such, in so many cases, doctors may offer a more natural look and suitable solutions for the anatomy of your interest.
Keep an Open Mind for Non-Surgical Methods
Nowadays, cosmetic has many more non-surgical or minimally-invasive medical applications or procedures that may give you a younger and fresh look without even going under anesthesia.
Watch Out for…
- Your surgeon shouldn’t rush you or pressure you into the procedure.
- If that’s the case, take your time to reconsider it.
- Don’t be tempted by the low fees or bargained prices.
- Your surgeon shouldn’t ignore your medical history.
Summary of All
- Examine and study the surgeon’s Before&After image gallery of the patients
- Read the patient reviews, forums, and customer testimonials.
- Ask your friends and family’s opinions or find someone you trust who has had a positive experience with that surgeon.
- Look for honesty in a surgeon who will give you realistic and straightforward guidance.
- Be prepared for the risks or potential complications that your surgery might have. Remember, no surgery is risk-free.