In Istanbul, there are two types of Museum Pass that you can buy for your museum visits. One of them is owned and offered by the Republic of Turkey Ministry of Culture and Tourism and other one is offered by the authorized travel agents.
Museum Pass Istanbul Mobile
This Museum Pass offers access to 12 museums in Istanbul, that only belong to Republic of Turkey Ministry of Culture and Tourism, which also means State Museums. (see below)
- Topkapi Palace Museum
- Hagia Sophia Museum
- Hagia Irene Museum
- Turkish & Islamic Arts Museum
- Istanbul Archaeology Museums
- Chora Museum
- Great Palace Mosaics Museum
- Museum of the History of Science and Technology in Islam
- Yildiz Palace Museum
- Galata Mevlevi Lodge Museum
- Rumeli Fortress Museum
- Fethiye Museum
Pricing & Validity
Valid for 5 days starting from your first visit.
Price is 220 TL. (about € 34)
How to Buy?
You can buy this museum pass online from the official Museum Pass Istanbul Mobile website.
Alternatively, you can directly buy the Istanbul Museum Pass at the 9 points of sales in Istanbul (with your ID card), at the ticket windows in:
- Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Topkapi Palace Harem, Istanbul Archaeology Museums, Hagia Irene, Mosaics Museum, Chora Museum, Museum of Turkish & Islamic Arts and Rumelihisar Museum
Important Notice : You’ll see or read elsewhere another Museum Pass named Müzekart+, which gives access to unlimited visits to more than 300 museums and archaeological sites in Turkey, valid for 1 year and with a price of 70 TL. Note that this museum card is only for Turkish citizens and foreign residents in Turkey having “ID Number”.
Guided Museum Pass Istanbul
This type of Museum Pass is a good option for the ones who want to see the most visited Museums in Istanbul with a guide. Typical passes include the 5-12 most visited museums plus 3-5 of them with guide.
Guided Museum Options
Istanbul Welcome Card Deluxe
This is a travel discount card that is delivered to your hotel for FREE upon your purchase online, and will be ready to use at your arrival. You can also receive it from its stand in both two Istanbul Airports. Istanbul Welcome Card Deluxe comes with Skip-the Line Pass for 12 Museums, 3 Tours by Historian Guide, 20 Rides with IstanbulKart (Public Transport), Bosphorus Cruise, Digital Guide Book and Map.
- Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Harem, Chora Museum, Fethiye (Pammakristos) Museum, Galata Mevlevi Lodge Museum, Great Palace Mosaics Museum, Hagia Irene, Istanbul Archaeological Museums, Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum, Rumeli Fortress, Science and Technology in Islam, and Bonus Basilica Cistern
- You’ll have guided tour for Hagia Sophia, the Topkapi Palace, Harem and the Basilica Cistern with one of the few Historian Guides in Istanbul.
- Daily available times (except Mondays and Tuesdays):
* Hagia Sophia at 10:00 – Tour duration: 60 minutes
* Basilica Cistern at 11:30 – Tour duration: 20 minutes
* Topkapi Palace and Harem at 12:30 – Tour duration: 90 minutes
Notice: Our website visitors will get 5% extra discount. Just click the red button below and make sure you see the discounted price on the official page.
Valid for 7 days starting from your first visit.
5-Day Museum Pass via Get Your Guide & Viator
If you are a Get Your Guide (GYG) or Viator fan for theworldwide tour buying, than you can buy these Istanbul Museum Passes from their links below.
Skip the Line Admission with guided tours include; Hagia Sophia, Topkapı Palace, Dolmabahce Palace, Basilica Cistern, Hagia Irene and Turkish & Islamic Arts Museum.
Valid for 5 days starting from your first visit.
Ministry’s Museum Pass vs Guided Museum Passes
We can see that you may get confused about which museum pass you should buy. Let us guide you through this and give you our recommendations.
* We used to recommend the Ministry’s Museum Pass (12 State Museums), but since the price has risen about 3x in the last two years, and now costs 220 TL (about €34), we find it not economic. Because you can get better deals with Istanbul’s two major discount passes;
* The 12 state museums included at the Ministry’s Museum Pass are also included in the Istanbul Welcome Card Deluxe (€ 79), and with bonus Basilica Cistern, and with skip-the-line access guided tours to Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Harem and Basilica Cistern, much better deal for you.
* We can say that, majority of the tourists visit only Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Harem and Basilica Cistern during their stay in Istanbul. Because they also take other shore excursions, attractions and neighborhood visits within a limited time of stay.
* Also guided tours are mostly preferred by the tourists as they want to learn more about the history of the place they visit from a professional guide, especially when we speak about Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and Basilica Cistern.
* Skip-the-line-access is also a great choice because you’ll see a long queue at Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace Museums in almost every season and queues are always a mass.
* Majority of the tourists take some other must-do attractions during their Istanbul visit, like each of us do when we visit a tourist. It can be cruises, specific shows, theme parks, and some other city sightseeing tours. And both IWC and ITP offers both attractions plus museums.