Last Updated on
Pera Museum is a private museum that was founded by the Suna and Inan Kirac Foundation on 2005. The museum is located at Tepebasi, near Taksim, in an impressive historical building that was originally conceived as the Bristol Hotel. The museum showcases high quality culture and art services to its visitors such as paintings, tiles and ceramics.
The museum also made joint projects with the leading international museums, collections, and foundations and exhibited many collections such as Jean Dubuffet, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Rembrandt, Niko Pirosmani, Josef Koudelka, Joan Miró, Akira Kurosawa, Marc Chagall, Pablo Picasso, Fernando Botero, Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, and Goya.
You’ll see fantastic and lively permanent collections that include:
- Orientalist Paintings (oil and watercolor paintings, ornamental art, and engravings from 17th to early 20th century),
- Anatolian Weights and Measures (over 10,000 objects dating from the prehistory to present day Anatolia),
- Kutahya Tiles and Ceramics (famous Kutahya tiles and ceramics from the 18th to 20th centuries),
- Photography Collection (over 7.000 photographs of Istanbul from the 19th and 20th centuries),
- Various exhibitions, publications, audio-visual events and educational activities.
The Tortoise Trainer
The world famous early 20th century oil on canvas “The Tortoise Trainer”, by the famous painter Osman Hamdi Bey’s is exhibited at the Pera Museum.
The museum offers monthly programs, a wide range of screenings extending from classic and experimental cinema, animation, documentaries to short films and video art screenings. You can catch them at the Pera Museum Auditorium. The screenings can be seen with a discounted museum ticket. Films are shown with Turkish subtitles. See the current program from peramuseum.org/FilmProgram
There are also temporary exhibitions and events held at the Pera Museum. See the current exhibitions from peramuseum.org/Exhibition
You can take a break and relax at the museum’s art deco cafe. You can find wide range of range of offerings; from salads, sandwiches, special pastas to high-quality pastries.
Visiting Hours & Admissions
Open every day except Mondays from:
- 10:00-19:00 (Tuesday to Saturday)
- 12:00-18:00 (Sunday)
Closed on Mondays.
Free of admissions from 18:00 to 22:00 every Friday.
Free for students every Wednesday.
Adult: 25 TL , Groups: 20 TL (minimum 10 people)
How to Get to Pera Museum
The most practical way to get to Tepebasi is via walking down from the Istiklal Street or up from the Tunel Sqaure. You should get to Taksim or Tunel square.
- Take funicular from Karakoy to Tunel.
- Take funicular from Kabatas to Taksim.
- From Sultanahmet take the Bagcilar-Kabatas tram (T1 line) to reach Karakoy or Kabatas.
- Yenikapi-Taksim-Haciosman M2 Metro line and hop off at the Sishane stop, and walk
- If you stay at the Taksim hotels, than you easily walk to the museum.
Address: Meşrutiyet Caddesi No.65, 34430 Tepebasi, Beyoglu, Istanbul
Tel: +90 212 334 99 00
We'd be so glad by giving us a like below and join our Facebook page, where you can also ask any questions, share your Istanbul experiences, pictures, yell out complaints, and chat with thousands of Istanbul travelers.