The nose is the centerpiece of the face and it has an importance to achieve a good look. It needs to look as natural as possible to balance well with your other facial features. If you are unsatisfied, no worries indeed, because thanks to the advanced technology in rhinoplasty, it is now possible to have your desired look. There are different surgeries performed depending on the patient’s need. Here on this blog, we prepared a guideline for you to find some answers to the questions about the revision rhinoplasty you may have in mind, including what to expect in Istanbul and Turkey with our pick of top best surgeons for revision rhinoplasty.
What is revision (secondary) rhinoplasty?
When a patient goes under a rhinoplasty for the first time, it is named primary rhinoplasty. On the other hand, there is another surgery named revision rhinoplasty, a.k.a secondary rhinoplasty, which is preferred by the patients whose previous nose job wasn’t successful or the patient wasn’t satisfied or disappointed with the results.
In revision rhinoplasty, one of the common worries amongst the patients is whether or not they will get the exact look after surgery. At this point, it is very important to choose a surgeon who fully understands your needs and what you want in terms of the aesthetics of your face. And, the surgeon should be able to offer you realistic expectations about your potential results.
Therefore, mutual communication between the patient and the doctor is very important. The patient should be able to tell the doctor carefully what exactly he or she expects from revision surgery. After the doctor determines the details of the secondary rhinoplasty, it will be implemented. Not every rhinoplasty surgery can yield satisfactory results. Sometimes, a patient may go under a 2nd, 3rd, or even more surgeries.
Are you the right candidate for the revision rhinoplasty?
You are the right candidate when you feel like your nose is not fitting your needs. However, you need to do your research well and pay extra care in your search for the best doctor in the area.
What are the major and minor revision rhinoplasty and how the size affects the surgery?
Revision surgery is size-dependent and there are different approaches for surgeries. While some surgeries require a long time and detailed work, other procedures may take a shorter time depending on what needs to be done.
For instance, if the patient is happy with his or her nose overall but wants just some small or minor touches on his/her nose, this kind of surgery is named a minor revision, which lasts for about 1-1.5 hours. For some revision surgeries, depending on the work, it may take between 30 min up to 60 min.
On the other hand, if there is a serious job that needs to be done; as such, if some nasal hump is preventing the patient’s breathing functions, if there is some collapsed area around the nose, or if there are some deformations left from the previous surgeries, then this kind of surgery will be a major revision surgery, and takes longer in time, from 3 to 6 hours depending on the size.
The nose changes a lot from the primary rhinoplasty, therefore the secondary rhinoplasty may be more complex and difficult for the surgeon. In other words, sometimes the structure of the cartilage may be weakened, or the bone tissue gets removed excessively, and sometimes tissue plans are narrowed, or the deformation in the anatomical structures and functionality may occur during the previous surgery. As a patient, you need to choose an experienced surgeon to eventually achieve a satisfactory look and a correctly functioning nose.
In which cases, is a revision rhinoplasty done?
If a nose has asymmetrical nostrils, a broad or pinched tip, droopiness in and around the nose, or sometimes the nose may be too short or too raised, then revision rhinoplasty is a good option. Sometimes, some patients may get difficulty in breathing due to the collapse of the nasal sidewalls (alar collapse), or due to insufficient or excessive removal of cartilage.
It is reported that secondary operations are required for 7-15% of the primary rhinoplasty operations. While some need just minor revisions while others may require major operations. Minor revision surgeries, as explained earlier, require some small touches on the nose to help satisfy the patient. Yet, major revision surgeries are certainly required when visible shape deformations are existing on the patient’s nose.
Why does a rhinoplasty (nasal aesthetic surgery) fail? is a very important question. It fails for multiple reasons, such as if the surgeon is inexperienced, or has excessive goals, or if the patient has unrealistic expectations from the surgery leading to functional problems, poor healing or tissue scarring, etc.
How can failure be avoided or minimized?
At this point, choosing the right surgeon and clinic/hospital is very important. The surgeon needs to be highly skilled and knowledgeable of the anatomy of the nose, the surgical approaches, etc. The clinic needs to be well-equipped, too. Here is a brief checklist for you to follow up on!
- The full examination needs to be performed by the surgeon meticulously and carefully on a potential patient before the surgery. This needs to be done to avoid incorrect incisions, the excessive or inadequate removal of cartilage or bones, etc.
- The operation shouldn’t be done in a hurry. It needs to be done patiently and with extra care.
- When the patient isn’t satisfied with the result, the surgeon must be able to make the necessary revisions.
- The surgeon must have at least 5-7 years of experience.
- The surgeon must have an artistic eye and skills, patience, respect, and sensitivity.
- It is advised that the patient waits for at least a year before going under a revision rhinoplasty.
- A deep look and care need to be applied during the preoperative evaluation. The surgeon needs to be able to determine if any grafts will be needed.
- During the evaluation, a detailed analysis of the nose is a must. As such, the surgeon needs to examine the skin, its thickness, fullness, quality, etc. as well as the structure of the nose and subcutaneous tissue.
- The surgeon will be able to examine and evaluate whether there is excessive or inadequate removal of the nasal hump.
- The surgeon goes on and examines all the other factors, not mentioned here, for instance, the nasal tip, symmetry, projection, rotation, alar-columellar relationship, and the state of the lower lateral cartilage.
- Of course, the surgeon examined the nose for the functional evaluation, too, as such if there is any static or dynamic valve collapse (shrinkage or collapse in the nasal valve), narrowness in the nasal lateral wall, and collapse in the nasal ala when breathing.
- For some exceptional cases, an endoscopic examination may be required and a sinus tomography must be taken if necessary.
- After all the examinations done carefully and in detail by the surgeon, a photoshoot from six different angles including the front, the bottom, the right side (profile) the right oblique (45°), the left side (profile), and the left oblique (45°) as well as computer analysis is carried out on the pictures that are transferred to the computer.
- Then, the most suitable nose shape for the face is designed with software dedicated to the computer-assisted design imaging process.
- There are 3 types of anesthesia, namely, general, local anesthesia, or intravenous sedation (no loss of consciousness). The choice of anesthesia is decided by the surgeon depending on the work to be done on the nose.
- There is a waiting period of at least one year for the primary rhinoplasty results to settle and for the surgeon to correctly determine the required interventions in the revision rhinoplasty.
To achieve good results, the goal of designing the nose must be realistic and achievable. The surgeon must achieve constructive, honest, and open communication with the patient. Not to mention that the patients must inform their surgeon if they have any illness or disease history or if they are on any kind of medication.
How about Revision Rhinoplasty in Istanbul and Turkey?
If you’ve been thinking about a revision (secondary) rhinoplasty or rhinoplasty Turkey to have a better and beautiful look of your nose, or have a better breathing, when you compare the costs and quality of service in the clinics in Istanbul and Turkey, it is an economical and practical way it here.
What the Clinics Offer?
Majority of the cosmetic and aesthetic clinics in Istanbul and Turkey offer a very well planned revision rhinoplasty trip with guide and consultant, including;
- Your detailed treatment plan in Istanbul with all the logistics,
- A comprehensive discussion with costs to your desired outcome,
- Your accommodation plan that best suits your needs,
- Pick-up from the airport to your hotel and the clinic, and vice-versa,
- Your lifetime follow-up and aftercare service
Best Surgeons for Revision Rhinoplasty in Istanbul Turkey
We are Istanbul insiders that were born and lived in the city for more than 40 years, and here we only suggest the proven and top rated ones with the patients’ comments. If you are planning a trip to Istanbul, already in the city or living as expat, and want to have a very well organized revision rhinoplasty, we would recommend our picks. Check them below.