Last Updated on November 17, 2020
“How to get from Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) to Taksim, and vice versa?” is one of the common questions for the ones both living in Istanbul and visiting Istanbul. Here, we put together detailed transportation alternatives with our insider tips, to help you plan your Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) to Taksim trip with ease.
Some Practical Information
* Sabiha Gokcen Airport(SAW) is situated on the east of Istanbul, in the Pendik district, on the Asian side.
* Distance from the SAW to Taksim is about 44 km.
* It takes about 90 mins to get to Taksim from SAW, and vice versa.
* You can travel between Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) and Taksim directly by;
- HAVABUS Airport Shuttle,
- Shared Shuttle,
- Private Shuttle.
* The HAVABUS Airport Shuttle is the most practical way, the Shared Shuttle or Private Shuttle is the most comfortable and convenient way to travel between Taksim, and also for Galata, Sisli and Besiktas region.
* There is NO direct Municipal Public Bus operating between SAW and Taksim.
Insider Advice for Departures
* For getting to Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) from Taksim; we recommend you to arrange your time as to be at the airport at least 1 hour for domestic flights and 2 hours for international flights.
* You’ll possibly wait in the queue on the main entrance, airline’s counter, check-in process, passenger lounge entrance, flight ticket and passport control.
* For International flights; if the check-in process is not completed at the latest 60 minutes before the scheduled departure time, than the passenger loses all rights on the ticket and the flight.
* Therefore, we highly recommend you to go to the airport early.
* Regarding the minimum transfer time from Taksim to New Istanbul Airport, of average 90 minutes plus 30 minutes possible traffic, etc, you should take your transfer to Sabiha Gokcen Airport from city center, at least 2,5 to 3 hours before your flight.
SAW to Taksim Transport Options
1. HAVABUS Airport Shuttle/Bus
1.1. SAW-Taksim Line
* It takes about 1,5 hours, but it can vary according to the traffic density.
* One Way Ticket Price: 18 TL
Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Taksim
* Buses operate between 06:30 am. – 00:30 pm., in every 30 minutes.
* Stops: Sabiha Gokcen Airport – Kavacik – FSM (2nd) Bridge – 1.Levent – Zincirlikuyu Metrobus stop – Dolapdere – Taksim
Taksim to Sabiha Gokcen Airport
* Buses operate between 03:30 am. – 22:00 pm., in every 30 minutes.
* Stops: Taksim – Besiktas – Bosphorus (1st) Bridge – TEM Access Road – Sabiha Gokcen Airport
Where is the HAVABUS Stop in Taksim?
HAVABUS stop in Taksim is situated at the Taksim Gezi Park Metro Exit, close to Point Hotel, about 600 metres walking distance from the Taksim Square. (see location map)
HAVABUS Taksim-SAW (and vice varsa) Timetables
Sabiha Gokcen Airport – Taksim Departure Times
06:30 07:00 07:30 08:00 08:30 09:00 09:30 10:00 10:30 11:00 11:30 12:00 12:30 13:00 13:30 14:00 14:30 15:00 15:30 16:00 16:30 17:00 17:30 18:00 18:30 19:00 19:30 20:00 20:30 21:00 21:30 22:00 22:30 23:00 23:30 00:00 00:30
Taksim – Sabiha Gokcen Airport Departure Times
03:30 04:00 04:30 05:00 05:30 06:00 06:30 07:00 07:30 08:00 08:30 09:00 09:30 10:00 10:30 11:00 11:30 12:00 12:30 13:00 13:30 14:00 14:30 15:00 15:30 16:00 16:30 17:00 17:30 18:00 18:30 19:00 19:30 20:00 20:30 21:00 21:30 22:00
Notice: Please double check the HAVABUS routes, timetables, trip fares and payment options from HAVABUS’ official website on havabus.com as all changes frequently due to this pandemic year’s situation.
HAVABUS Ticket Price
* HAVABUS one way ticket price between Taksim-Sabiha Gokcen Airport is 18 TL.
* You can’t buy tickets in advance. You need to pay it just after you enter the bus.
How to Pay?
* You can pay CASH or by ISTANBULKART (Istanbul’s Public Transport Card). Credit card is not available.
* You can obtain ISTANBULKART and load credit from the Kiosks at the Sabiha Gokcen Airport upon your arrival.
* If you already have ISTANBULKART with you, you can download and install ISTANBULKART Mobile Application to your mobile phone, and load credit by your credit card. Read more about how to obtain and load credit to it on our ISTANBULKART page.
1.2. SAW-Kadikoy Line
* This is the 2nd option. We won’t recommend this as SAW-Taksim line directly goes to Taksim, while you need to take 3 different transport units with this option.
* We recommend this if only you are backpacker traveler, or don’t have much luggage, and take the advantage of Bosphorus cruise by ferry.
* Take HAVABUS SAW-Kadikoy line to Kadikoy.
* It takes about 1 hour and One Way Ticket Price is 14 TL (about €2,1)
* Airport shuttle bus will drop you off at Kadikoy pier.
* Take Kadikoy-Kabatas public ferry.
* Take funicular to Taksim.
* Vice versa from Taksim to SAW.
SAW to Kadikoy
* Buses operate between 06:30 am. – 00:30 am., in every 30 minutes.
* Stops: Sabiha Gokcen Airport – TEM Access Road – Yeni Sahra – Kadikoy
Kadikoy to SAW
* Buses operate between 04:15 am. – 21:15 pm., in every 30 minutes.
* Departure: Kadikoy Pier Public Bus Stop. See location map
* Stops: Kadikoy – Yeni Sahra – TEM Access Road – Sabiha Gokcen Airport
* You get from Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) to Taksim by the local taxis.
* The taxi-meter switch on price is 5 TL and 3,10 TL per kilometer. There is no day and night difference.
* Average taxi fare from Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Taksim will be around 170 TL.
* Read more on our Istanbul Taxi Guide page for Istanbul taxis.
3. Private & Shared Shuttles
* If you are a group or a family with kids or having lots of luggage with you, than we highly recommend private shuttle transfers for your hotel in Taksim as they offer a fixed rate, comfortable and safe transfer that include meet-and-greet airport pickups and luggage assistance to your hotel in Taksim from Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) or from your hotel to the airport.
* When you take HAVABUS airport shuttle, it will drop you off at the Taksim Abdülhak Hamit Street, and you’ll need to walk or take a taxi from there again which will be difficult for you with your kids and luggage. But private transfers drives you just to the entrance of your hotel.
* As for private shuttle transfers between Sabiha Gokcen Airport Airport and Taksim, we highly recommend Tranigo(a Turkish company operating since 1996, and partnered with renowned names like Hertz, Thrifty, Budget, and many reliable and efficient local suppliers) as we recently booked with them had a great trip to our hotel.
It offers low-priced, fixed rate private shuttles that include meet-and-greet airport pickups and luggage assistance.
* Their large selection of comfortable taxis, minivans, luxurious cars and 6-19+ passenger minibuses can match any need while ensuring quick and safe travels. Faster and more comfortable than shuttles, buses and taxis. Free cancellation. All prices include fees & tip.