The Ortakoy Sqaure is a famous and one of the most touristic ones in Istanbul, located in Ortakoy neighborhood of Besiktas district, nearby the beautiful Bosphorus. The excellent location makes it a very popular and lively places full of young people and all Istanbul sightseeing takers.
Things to Do & See
Strolling around the Ortakoy Sqaure, watching the crowd, having a rest and drinking tea or coffee at the various cafes and restaurants nearby the sea in the company of Bosphorus is one of the best things to do in Ortakoy.
You can also take the boats for a Bosphorus cruise, from the Ortakoy coast, near the Ortakoy Mosque.
There are variety of cafes, bars, restaurants and shops at the square. Many locals prefer to buy baked potatoes from numerous cafes and eat it by the beautiful views of the Bosphorus. The lively nights at the weekends are also fantastic.
The Damat Ibrahim Pasha fountain and historic Esma Sultan Mansion, dating back to 18th century, are worth a see.
Ortakoy Mosque (Buyuk Mecidiye)
Ortaköy Buyuk Mecidiye Mosque, with an elegant architecture, is one of the most beautiful mosques in Istanbul. It was built by Sultan Abdülmecit in the 19th century and gives an impression of standing on the water. It is also one of the most important symbols of Istanbul.
How to Get There
The most practical way to get to Ortakoy Square is via Bagcilar-Kabatas tram (T1 line), and taking public bus to Ortakoy.
- From Sultanahmet, Eminonu, Galata or Karakoy, take the tram. The closest tram stop is Kabatas.
- From Taksim, take Yellow Share Taxis directly to Besiktas, or the funicular to Kabatas (from taksim Square).
- Public Bus Line 22, 22RE and 25E from Kabatas
- You can walk from Besiktas within 20 minutes.
- Public ferries Bosphorus Lines.
* Check Public ferry lines routes and timetables from en.sehirhatlari.istanbul