Last Updated on September 11, 2020
“How to get from New Istanbul Airport (IST) to Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW), and vice versa?” is a common question for the transit or layover passengers in Istanbul. This is a very uncomfortable and painful thing for travelers as the distance between these airports is too much and you’ll need pass through the busiest city center, and the two continents.
Here, we put together all the necessary alternatives with our local expert advice, to help you plan your IST to SAW or vice versa trip with ease.
Some Practical Information
* New Istanbul Airport (IST) is situated on the north eastern part of Istanbul, on the Arnavutkoy district, European side.
* Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) is situated on the east of Istanbul, in the Pendik district, on the Asian side.
* Distance between New Istanbul Airport and Sabiha Gokcen Airport is 101 km.
* You’ll need to pass from Europe to Asia and vie versa to travel between both airports.
* It takes about 100 minutes, but it can vary according to the traffic density.
* You can travel between IST and SAW directly by;
- HAVAIST Airport Shuttle,
- Private Shuttle.
IST to SAW Transport Options
HAVAIST New Istanbul Airport Shuttle/Bus
* HAVAIST Airport Shuttle Number, operating in between New Istanbul Airport and Sabiha Gokcen Airport is HVIST-10.
* Average duration is 110 minutes, but it can vary according to the traffic density.
* HAVAIST Buses take maximum 46 passengers at once.
HVIST-10 (Pendik – Sabiha Gokcen Airport – New Istanbul Airport)
Stops: Pendik High Speed Train Station – Tavsantepe Metro – Sabiha Gokcen Airport – New Istanbul Airport
Pendik – New Istanbul Airport Departure Times
04:20, 05:50, 07:20, 08:50, 10:20, 12:20, 13:20, 14:50, 16:20, 17:50, 19:20, 21:00, 23:30
New Istanbul Airport – Sabiha Gokcen Airport Departure Times
05:30, 07:00, 08:30, 10:00, 11:30, 13:00, 14:20, 15:30, 17:00, 18:30, 20:00, 21:30, 23:00
Notice: Please double check the HAVAIST routes, timetables and trip fares from HAVAIST’s official website hava.ist
* HAVAIST average one way ticket price between New Istanbul Airport-Sabiha Gokcen Airport is 37 TL
* You can’t buy tickets in advance. You need to pay it just after you enter the bus.
How to Pay?
* You can pay via credit card, bank card or ISTANBULKART (Istanbul’s Public Transport Card). No cash accepted.
* You can obtain ISTANBULKART and load credit from the Kiosks at the New Istanbul Airport upon your arrival.
* If you already have ISTANBULKART with you, you can download and install ISTANBULKART Mobile Application to your mobile phone, and load credit by your credit card. Read more about how to obtain and load credit to it on our ISTANBULKART page.
Get QR Code via Credit Card
* If you want to pay by Credit Card, than you’ll need to download and install HAVAIST Mobile Application to your mobile phone, or from HAVAIST website (https://hava.ist/en), deposit credit via your credit card.
* And than you enter the bus by scanning the QR code that you’ll receive to your mobile phone, to the device on the bus.
Get QR Code via Istanbul Welcome Card Service
* This is the best option if you don’t have IstanbulKart with you, and also easier way to get the QR Code by downloading and installing HAVAIST Mobile APP and entering your details, pay via credit card, etc.
* With Istanbul Welcome Card’s HAVAIST QR Code service, you’ll immediately get the QR Code to your mobile phone, to enter the HAVAIST. Just scan it to the device and get on the bus.
* The service includes Unlimited Luggage, Free WiFi and USB charger on bus, One way transfer Istanbul Airport to City or City to Airport, 10% Discount at the Istanbul Welcome Card shop, Istanbul E-Booklet
Price: €5 per person
Re-booking and cancellation is free of charge up to 12 hours before your arrival.
* If you have enough layover time in Istanbul; than you can take the HAVAIST Airport Shuttle No: HVIST-14 to Taksim (90 minutes), have some rest in a cafe or restaurant, or stroll around, and than take the HAVABUS Shuttle Taksim Line to Sabiha Gokcen Airport (90 minutes).
* You get from IST to SAW by the local taxis.
* The taxi-meter switch on price is 5 TL and 3,10 TL per kilometer. There is no day and night difference.
* Average taxi fare from IST to SAW will be around 300 TL.
* Read more on our Istanbul Taxi Guide (Fares, Tips) page for Istanbul taxis.
Private & Shared Shuttles
* If you are a group or a family with kids, having lots of luggage with you, or have very limited time and need a fast transfer, than we highly recommend private shuttle transfer, as they offer a fixed rate, comfortable and safe transfer that include meet-and-greet airport pickups and luggage assistance from New Istanbul Airport (IST) to Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) or vice versa.
* As for private shuttle transfers between IST and SAW, we highly recommend Tranigo (a Turkish company operating since 1996, and partnered with renowned names like Hertz, Thrifty, Budget, and many reliable and efficient local suppliers) as we recently booked with them had a great trip to our hotel.
It offers low-priced, fixed rate private shuttles that include meet-and-greet airport pickups and luggage assistance.
* Their large selection of comfortable taxis, minivans, luxurious cars and 6-19+ passenger minibuses can match any need while ensuring quick and safe travels. Faster and more comfortable than shuttles, buses and taxis. Free cancellation. All prices include fees & tip.
We'd be so glad by giving us a like below and join our Facebook page, where you can also ask any questions, share your Istanbul experiences, pictures, yell out complaints, and chat with thousands of Istanbul travelers.