Last Updated on August 2, 2021
Are you planning an Istanbul New Year’s Eve for 31 Dec. 2021, with your friends and family together? And you wonder what to do on New Year’s Eve in Istanbul, one of Europe’s biggest party cities? Here we put together all the necessary information and ideas to make you plan a perfect New Year’s Eve in Istanbul to see the city light up for this special night, with superb meals and parties, fireworks, cruises and more lasting into the early hours of 2021 through 2022. Below we put together the top New Year’s Eve activities in Istanbul in 2021.
1. General info and advice on what to do in Istanbul for New Year’s Eve 2021
– In Istanbul, the new year’s eve can be both expensive with parties and programs at the restaurants, hotels and clubs or cheap on similar budget places and at the famous streets and squares.
– Like in all over the world, the New Year tree is part of the festivities and locals exchange gifts in between their friends and families.
– Majority of the locals prefer to spend the evening at home with their friends and families, have a New Year dinner, watch TV shows and than go out for street parties about 1 hour before the midnight.
– You should make sure to check availability and book in advance to make the most of Istanbul’s New Year’s Eve celebrations and festivities, as the spaces are often limited.
– For the ones who want to party for all night long, than we recommend you find and book a nice restaurant, cafe, bar and club proposing NYE dinner and party.
– It will be a busy time so you should also make sure to buy your attraction tickets online to save money and avoid lines, as well as book your hotel or hostel in advance.
– You should be aware of your stuff if you will spend the night with the street shows and concerts, at the famous and popular streets and squares, to avoid pickpocket and abuse, like in many metropolitan cities in the world.
– For the ones who want to spend the night outdoors with crowds and street parties, than we recommend Ortakoy, Nisantasi, Bagdat Street or Kadikoy. We don’t recommend Taksim Square and Istiklal Street in the evening as it will be very crowded with the locals and you may not feel comfortable. You should also stay away from the crowds due to Covid-19.
2. Top things to do on New Year’s Eve in Istanbul
There are plenty of things to do in Istanbul on New Year’s Eve 2021, that include watching the fireworks along the Bosphorus shores, or on a Bosphorus cruise, celebrate the night at one of the many great Istanbul clubs, or see the magical city light up at midnight with a New Year’s Eve meal in a top Istanbul restaurant with a view.
3. Istanbul New Year’s Eve Weather
It can be cold but not freezing during NYE in Istanbul. You can experience rain. It didn’t snow in the previous years in the NYE. Average temperature is 10°C and precipitation 123 mm.
We recommend you to bring a winter coat or a decent jacket, a scarf and a portable umbrella. Also take sweater for some warmer places.
The days are still short but started to get longer, the sun set around 18:30. (Average Max Temp.: 11°C – Average Max Temp.: 5°C)
Istanbul 5 Days Weather Forecast
4. Istanbul New Year’s Eve fireworks
The New Year’s Eve fireworks of Istanbul will sure light up the beautiful Bosphorus with a dazzling spectacle of pyrotechnics. You can be the part of the celebrations on the night and enjoy the fireworks along the many places situated by the Bosphorus shores.
Istanbul NYE Cruise Party on the Bosphorus with views of the fireworks
Taking a boat cruise on the Bosphorus to celebrate the NYE is one of the best ways to enjoy NYE in Istanbul. You can watch the NYE fireworks and enjoy the NYE dinner and live entertainment with the stunning views of Istanbul as you welcome 2022. Typical NYE cruise party goes for about 6 hours.
Highlights: Hassle-free round-trip transfer from your hotel, Celebrating NYE on the Bosphorus, Enjoy unlimited food and drinks, Watch traditional shows by belly dancers and Turkish folk dancers, Watch the fireworks on deck, Toast champagne at midnight
Best of Istanbul NYE Bosphorus Cruise Parties
We put together the best Istanbul NYE Bosphorus Cruise parties, organized by registered and trusted suppliers.
- You’ll be guaranteed with the best price regarding the quality of service.
- You can read the reviews and decide.
- You’ll have flexibility with the booking cancellation with full refund without dealing with the tour operator.
- You’ll avoid yourself from all the hassle of arranging your flights, accommodation, entrance fees, taxes.
Note: You should make sure to check availability and book in advance to make the most of Istanbul’s New Year’s Eve celebrations, as the spaces are often limited.
*** Live Offers ***
Live offers will be available in November 2021
Other ways to see Istanbul’s New Year’s Eve fireworks
– Party through the popular restaurants, cafes, bars, pubs and clubs of Istanbul and end the year on a high with dinner, music and dance; especially the ones situated through the Bosphorus shores to enjoy the prime views of the Istanbul fireworks from the outdoor spaces.
– Enjoy the night on the districts situated on the Bosphorus shores such as Galata, Karakoy, Taksim, Besiktas or Ortakoy to see the amazing views of the Istanbul New Year’s Eve fireworks.
– There are also many viewpoints that you can enjoy the Istanbul NYE Fireworks with panoramic views of the city, from historic places like towers, mosques and palaces, to rooftop terraces to groves and hilltops. See top places for the best views of Istanbul.
5. Restaurants & Clubs for NYE dining & partying
*** Live Offers ***
Live offers will be available in November 2021
Restaurants for a special night
Many of the Istanbul restaurants offer a special NYE menu for their guests with fixed price, and include shows, fun and music. See Best Istanbul Restaurants
Rooftop Terraces to welcome the New Year
There’s nothing better than to enjoy the Istanbul’s NYE evening in one of the best terrace or rooftop restaurant or bar, in the company of panoramic views of the city. See best rooftop restaurants and bars in Istanbul.
Bars & Pubs for a lively night
You can find the best bars in Istanbul that you may spend great times with your family or friends from our Best Istanbul Bars page. Irish Pubs also offer lively and very friendly atmosphere and Istanbul also has great ones. You can find them from our Best Istanbul Irish Pubs page.
6. Istanbul Clubs to celebrate New Year’s Eve
For the ones who look for dance and fun the night away in Istanbul’s NYE, we can say that majority of the Istanbul clubs organize NYE parties. There’s plenty on offer and we highly recommend buying tickets in advance. See Best Istanbul Night Clubs
7. Day and evening NYE Istanbul ideas
– Visit popular streets and squares such as Istiklal Street, Nisantasi, Bagdat Street and Ortakoy Square, to enjoy the lively new year scene.
– Visit the famous shopping malls of Istanbul such as the Kanyon, Metrocity and Akmerkez in the Levent district; the Istinye Park in Maslak, the Cevahir in Mecidiyekoy to enjoy the New Year festivities like concerts and shows, and make shopping. See Best Istanbul Shopping Malls
– Take some of Istanbul’s top attractions, many of which are open during the day on New Year’s Eve.
8. Things to do on New Year’s Day
– Start the new year off with a Turkish breakfast in one of outdoor cafes or terrace restaurants and bars of the city.
– Hit the designer shops, shops at the famous streets and squares and shopping malls of Istanbul to pick up bargains in the January sales.
– See the city’s sights and sounds by hop on hop off tourist bus.
– Visit the charming museums of the city.
– Marvel at the New Year lights, which can still be spotted across the city, mostly at the famous streets and squares such as Istiklal Street, Nisantasi, Bagdat Street and Ortakoy Square.
– See more on our Istanbul on New Year’s Day page.