Last Updated on
Are you planning an Istanbul New Year’s Eve fro 31 Dec. 2020, with your friends and family together? And you wonder what to do on New Year’s Eve in Istanbul, one of Europe’s biggest party cities? Here we put together all the necessary information and ideas to make you plan a perfect New Year’s Eve in Istanbul to see the city light up for this special night, with superb meals and parties, fireworks, cruises and more lasting into the early hours of 2020 through 2021. Below we put together the top New Year’s Eve activities in Istanbul in 2020.
1. General info and advice on what to do in Istanbul for New Year’s Eve 2020
– In Istanbul, the new year’s eve can be both expensive with parties and programs at the restaurants, hotels and clubs or cheap on similar budget places and at the famous streets and squares.
– Like in all over the world, the New Year tree is part of the festivities and locals exchange gifts in between their friends and families.
– Majority of the locals prefer to spend the evening at home with their friends and families, have a New Year dinner, watch TV shows and than go out for street parties about 1 hour before the midnight.
– You should make sure to check availability and book in advance to make the most of Istanbul’s New Year’s Eve celebrations and festivities, as the spaces are often limited.
– For the ones who want to party for all night long, than we recommend you find and book a nice restaurant, cafe, bar and club proposing NYE dinner and party.
– It will be a busy time so you should also make sure to buy your attraction tickets online to save money and avoid lines, as well as book your hotel or hostel in advance.
– You should be aware of your stuff if you will spend the night with the street shows and concerts, at the famous and popular streets and squares, to avoid pickpocket and abuse, like in many metropolitan cities in the world.
– For the ones who want to spend the night outdoors with crowds and street parties, than we recommend Ortakoy, Nisantasi, Bagdat Street or Kadikoy. We don’t recommend Taksim Square and Istiklal Street in the evening as it will be very crowded with the locals and you may not feel comfortable.
2. Top things to do on New Year’s Eve in Istanbul
There are plenty of things to do in Istanbul on New Year’s Eve 2020, that include watching the fireworks along the Bosphorus shores, or on a Bosphorus cruise, celebrate the night at one of the many great Istanbul clubs, or see the magical city light up at midnight with a New Year’s Eve meal in a top Istanbul restaurant with a view.
3. Istanbul New Year’s Eve Weather
It can be cold but not freezing during NYE in Istanbul. You can experience rain. It didn’t snow in the previous years in the NYE. Average temperature is 10°C and precipitation 123 mm. We recommend you to bring a winter coat or a decent jacket, a scarf and a portable umbrella. Also take sweater for some warmer places. The days are still short but started to get longer, the sun set around 18:30. (Average Max Temp.: 11°C – Average Max Temp.: 5°C)
Istanbul 5 Days Weather Forecast
4. Istanbul New Year’s Eve fireworks
The New Year’s Eve fireworks of Istanbul will sure light up the beautiful Bosphorus with a dazzling spectacle of pyrotechnics. You can be the part of the celebrations on the night and enjoy the fireworks along the many places situated by the Bosphorus shores.
Istanbul NYE Cruise Party on the Bosphorus with views of the fireworks
Taking a boat cruise on the Bosphorus to celebrate the NYE is one of the best ways to enjoy NYE in Istanbul. You can watch the NYE fireworks and enjoy the NYE dinner and live entertainment with the stunning views of Istanbul as you welcome 2021. Typical NYE cruise party goes for about 6 hours.
Hassle-free round-trip transfer from your hotel
Celebrating NYE on the Bosphorus
Enjoy unlimited food and drinks
Watch traditional shows by belly dancers and Turkish folk dancers
Watch the fireworks on deck
Toast champagne at midnight
Best of Istanbul NYE Bosphorus Cruise Parties
We put together the best Istanbul NYE Bosphorus Cruise parties, organized by Viator, a world brand, from their registered and trusted suppliers.
- You’ll be guaranteed with the best price regarding the quality of service.
- You can read the reviews and decide.
- You’ll have flexibility with the booking cancellation with full refund without dealing with the tour operator.
- You’ll avoid yourself from all the hassle of arranging your flights, accommodation, entrance fees, taxes.
- If you’ll need help, customer service is available 24/7 in multiple languages.
Note: You should make sure to check availability and book in advance to make the most of Istanbul’s New Year’s Eve celebrations, as the spaces are often limited.
*** Live Offers ***
Bosphorus New Year’s Eve Dinner Cruise and Boat Party, Istanbul
Celebrate in style for New Years in Istanbul on board Queen Cruise with up and close views of the two continents and city lights and any of its firework displays along the Bosphorus by night. This New Year’s Eve on a Bosphorus boat tour will be a special memory for years to come.
Duration: 4 to 5 hours (Approx.) – Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Dinner and Alcoholic Beverages included.
- Hotel pick-up is offered.
2020 New Year Eve Dinner and Party on Boat the Istanbul Bosphorus
Ring in the New Year 2020 in Istanbul with this dinner on a party boat on the Bosphorus. Making last-minute plans is not a great way to round out the year; with this advance booking, you’ll be sure you’ve got something special planned. Step aboard the boat for dinner followed by a live band and DJ entertainment, then ring in the New Year with your friends and family on the Bosphorus.
Duration: 6 hours (Approx.) – Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Convenient hotel pickup and drop-off in Istanbul.
- Dinner included on board the boat.
- Sip a welcome drink as you step on board.
- Open bar during the cruise.
Istanbul New Year Party Cruise through Bosphorus
Instead of spending New Year’s Eve trying to push through the crowds on the Istanbul waterfront – or, even worse, spending it in your hotel room without anything to do – get into the festive spirit with an exciting evening river cruise down the Bosphorus strait. Ring in the New Year in style: see Istanbul’s ancient streets and palaces all lit up at night, and get as close as you can to the spectacular fireworks from the Bosphorus Bridge.
Duration: 5 hours (Approx.) – Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- No need to eat beforehand: dinner is included on this party-boat cruise
- Don’t drain your wallet: enjoy the cruise’s open bar, running through the night
- New Year package includes convenient hotel pick-up and wharf transfer
- Families welcome: children aged 7 and up welcome on this night cruise.
New Year Eve Party on the Bosphorus in Istanbul
Celebrate New Years Eve between two continents on this Bosphorus night cruise. Transfer from your hotel to the boat, and enjoy views of the city’s shore as you sail down the Strait. Eat a traditional Turkish dinner on board and watch a variety of entertainment, including belly dancing, traditional folk dances, and a live DJ performance. Enjoy unlimited drinks and sip champagne at midnight.
Duration: 6 hours (Approx.) – Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Hassle-free round-trip transfer from your hotel
- Eat a Turkish dinner on board
- Watch belly dancing and folk dancing
- Toast champagne at midnight
Istanbul New Year 2020 Dinner and Party Cruise on the Bosphorus
Celebrate New Year’s Eve right on a Bosphorus cruise. Dinner is served on board the boat and consists of a wide array of traditional Turkish dishes, including vegetarian options. Wash everything down with unlimited beer, wine, vodka, and raki (anise-flavoured drink). Stay entertained with belly dancing, folk, and DJ performances. Courtesy hotel drop-off spares you the task of catching a taxi on the busiest night of the year.
Duration: 7 to 9 hours (Approx.) – Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Watch the fireworks from an ideal vantage point
- See a live belly dancing performance on the boat
- Enjoy complimentary alcoholic beverages
- Relax in convenient hotel pickup and drop-off
Other ways to see Istanbul’s New Year’s Eve fireworks
– Party through the popular restaurants, cafes, bars, pubs and clubs of Istanbul and end the year on a high with dinner, music and dance; especially the ones situated through the Bosphorus shores to enjoy the prime views of the Istanbul fireworks from the outdoor spaces.
– Enjoy the night on the districts situated on the Bosphorus shores such as Galata, Karakoy, Taksim, Besiktas or Ortakoy to see the amazing views of the Istanbul New Year’s Eve fireworks.
– There are also many viewpoints that you can enjoy the Istanbul NYE Fireworks with panoramic views of the city, from historic places like towers, mosques and palaces, to rooftop terraces to groves and hilltops. See top places for the best views of Istanbul.
5. Restaurants & Clubs for NYE dining & partying
*** Live Offers ***
Sultana’s Restaurant Istanbul New Year’s Eve Party
Celebrate the New Year’s Eve in Istanbul at Sultana’s – Dinner and Belly Dancing 1001 Nights Show – in Taksim. You’ll have an unforgettable New Year’s Eve with an excellent Turkish dinner, authentic Turkish belly dancing and theatrical performances in great party atmosphere. Sultana’s has one of the best parties in Istanbul.
- All-inclusive package
- Transportation (Pick up and return)
- Dinner with New Year’s Eve Entertainment
- Suitable for Families
- World Class Turkish Belly Dancers
- Turkish Folklore & Dance Groups
- Unlimited local alcohol and soft drinks
Address: 40-D Cumhuriyet Caddesi, Elmadağ, Harbiye, Istanbul
Reservation: +90 212 219 39 04
Location: Within a short walking distance from Taksim square. See location map >>
Restaurants for a special night
Many of the Istanbul restaurants offer a special NYE menu for their guests with fixed price, and include shows, fun and music. See Best Istanbul Restaurants
Rooftop Terraces to welcome the New Year
There’s nothing better than to enjoy the Istanbul’s NYE evening in one of the best terrace or rooftop restaurant or bar, in the company of panoramic views of the city. See best rooftop restaurants and bars in Istanbul.
Bars & Pubs for a lively night
You can find the best bars in Istanbul that you may spend great times with your family or friends from our Best Istanbul Bars page. Irish Pubs also offer lively and very friendly atmosphere and Istanbul also has great ones. You can find them from our Best Istanbul Irish Pubs page.
6. Istanbul Clubs to celebrate New Year’s Eve
For the ones who look for dance and fun the night away in Istanbul’s NYE, we can say that majority of the Istanbul clubs organize NYE parties. There’s plenty on offer and we highly recommend buying tickets in advance. See Best Istanbul Night Clubs
7. Day and evening NYE Istanbul ideas
– Visit popular streets and squares such as Istiklal Street, Nisantasi, Bagdat Street and Ortakoy Square, to enjoy the lively new year scene.
– Visit the famous shopping malls of Istanbul such as the Kanyon, Metrocity and Akmerkez in the Levent district; the Istinye Park in Maslak, the Cevahir in Mecidiyekoy to enjoy the New Year festivities like concerts and shows, and make shopping. See Best Istanbul Shopping Malls
– Take some of Istanbul’s top attractions, many of which are open during the day on New Year’s Eve.
8. Things to do on New Year’s Day
– Start the new year off with a Turkish breakfast in one of outdoor cafes or terrace restaurants and bars of the city.
– Hit the designer shops, shops at the famous streets and squares and shopping malls of Istanbul to pick up bargains in the January sales.
– See the city’s sights and sounds by hop on hop off tourist bus.
– Visit the charming museums of the city.
– Marvel at the New Year lights, which can still be spotted across the city, mostly at the famous streets and squares such as Istiklal Street, Nisantasi, Bagdat Street and Ortakoy Square.
– See more on our Istanbul on New Year’s Day page.
Insider Tips for First Time VisitorsFor time visitors to Istanbul should check and well plan the area to stay, best time to visit the city, best places to see and top attractions, how to save money, where to go for eating and shopping, airport transfer and public transportation, etc. to make the most of their Istanbul visit easy, budget, convenient, and safe.
We recommend you to read our articles in the First Time Visitors section of our website before you plan your visit.
We also put together the top travel eases below that you can benefit from your trip. Check them out!
Where to Stay?First time visitors should stay in the city center, better to be near city’s top attractions and within easy reach to public transport. Sultanahmet, Galata-Karakoy or Taksim would be your best choice. Continue reading...
Tourist Discount CardsIstanbul has two major tourist discount cards. You'll have access to variety of major Istanbul attractions and services with a fixed price and save a lot. This is by far the most practical and cheapest way to explore Istanbul, as well as get airport transfer, public transportation card, unlimited internet, etc.
Istanbul Welcome Card DeluxeThis is a travel discount card that is delivered to your hotel for FREE upon your purchase online, and will be ready to use at your arrival. You can also receive it from its stand in both two Istanbul Airports.
Istanbul Welcome Card Deluxe comes with Pass for 12 Museums, 3 Tours by Historian Guide, 20 Rides with IstanbulKart (Public Transport), Bosphorus Cruise, Digital Guide Book and Map.
Notice: Our website visitors will get 5% extra discount. Just click the red button below and make sure you see the discounted price on the official page.
Istanbul Tourist PassThis is a digital travel discount pass that is delivered to your phone upon your purchase online, and will be ready to use at your arrival. It includes 30+ attractions and services including skip the line access and guided museum tours, dinner cruise, hop-on & hop-off Bus, airport transfer, unlimited mobile internet, etc.
Airport TransfersIstanbul has two international airports. You'll find all the transportation opportunities such as Airport Shuttle, Metro, Train, Taxi, Private Shuttle, etc. from the airports to the city center and vice versa from our pages below.
This is a good option as while the Airport Shuttles or Public Buses will bring you only to the city center and you’ll need to take a taxi to reach your hotel which will seem to be harder for you, private shuttles will drive you just to the entrance of your hotel.
As for private shuttle transfers, we can recommend Kiwi Taxi as we recently tested them and had a great trip to our hotel. We didn't see any bad comments on internet. They have large selection of comfortable taxis, minivans, luxurious cars and 6-19+ passenger minibuses.
You can check and book your transfer from the below widget.
We'd be so glad by giving us a like below and join our Facebook page, where you can also ask any questions, share your Istanbul experiences, pictures, yell out complaints, and chat with thousands of Istanbul travelers.