Last Updated on March 28, 2021
Are you planning an Istanbul New Year’s Eve for 31 Dec. 2021, with your friends and family together? And you wonder what to do on New Year’s Eve in Istanbul, one of Europe’s biggest party cities? Here we put together all the necessary information and ideas to make you plan a perfect New Year’s Eve in Istanbul to see the city light up for this special night, with superb meals and parties, fireworks, cruises and more lasting into the early hours of 2021 through 2022. Below we put together the top New Year’s Eve activities in Istanbul in 2021.
1. General info and advice on what to do in Istanbul for New Year’s Eve 2021
– In Istanbul, the new year’s eve can be both expensive with parties and programs at the restaurants, hotels and clubs or cheap on similar budget places and at the famous streets and squares.
– Like in all over the world, the New Year tree is part of the festivities and locals exchange gifts in between their friends and families.
– Majority of the locals prefer to spend the evening at home with their friends and families, have a New Year dinner, watch TV shows and than go out for street parties about 1 hour before the midnight.
– You should make sure to check availability and book in advance to make the most of Istanbul’s New Year’s Eve celebrations and festivities, as the spaces are often limited.
– For the ones who want to party for all night long, than we recommend you find and book a nice restaurant, cafe, bar and club proposing NYE dinner and party.
– It will be a busy time so you should also make sure to buy your attraction tickets online to save money and avoid lines, as well as book your hotel or hostel in advance.
– You should be aware of your stuff if you will spend the night with the street shows and concerts, at the famous and popular streets and squares, to avoid pickpocket and abuse, like in many metropolitan cities in the world.
– For the ones who want to spend the night outdoors with crowds and street parties, than we recommend Ortakoy, Nisantasi, Bagdat Street or Kadikoy. We don’t recommend Taksim Square and Istiklal Street in the evening as it will be very crowded with the locals and you may not feel comfortable. You should also stay away from the crowds due to Covid-19.
2. Top things to do on New Year’s Eve in Istanbul
There are plenty of things to do in Istanbul on New Year’s Eve 2021, that include watching the fireworks along the Bosphorus shores, or on a Bosphorus cruise, celebrate the night at one of the many great Istanbul clubs, or see the magical city light up at midnight with a New Year’s Eve meal in a top Istanbul restaurant with a view.
3. Istanbul New Year’s Eve Weather
It can be cold but not freezing during NYE in Istanbul. You can experience rain. It didn’t snow in the previous years in the NYE. Average temperature is 10°C and precipitation 123 mm.
We recommend you to bring a winter coat or a decent jacket, a scarf and a portable umbrella. Also take sweater for some warmer places.
The days are still short but started to get longer, the sun set around 18:30. (Average Max Temp.: 11°C – Average Max Temp.: 5°C)
Istanbul 5 Days Weather Forecast
4. Istanbul New Year’s Eve fireworks
The New Year’s Eve fireworks of Istanbul will sure light up the beautiful Bosphorus with a dazzling spectacle of pyrotechnics. You can be the part of the celebrations on the night and enjoy the fireworks along the many places situated by the Bosphorus shores.
Istanbul NYE Cruise Party on the Bosphorus with views of the fireworks
Taking a boat cruise on the Bosphorus to celebrate the NYE is one of the best ways to enjoy NYE in Istanbul. You can watch the NYE fireworks and enjoy the NYE dinner and live entertainment with the stunning views of Istanbul as you welcome 2022. Typical NYE cruise party goes for about 6 hours.
Hassle-free round-trip transfer from your hotel
Celebrating NYE on the Bosphorus
Enjoy unlimited food and drinks
Watch traditional shows by belly dancers and Turkish folk dancers
Watch the fireworks on deck
Toast champagne at midnight
Best of Istanbul NYE Bosphorus Cruise Parties
We put together the best Istanbul NYE Bosphorus Cruise parties, organized by registered and trusted suppliers.
- You’ll be guaranteed with the best price regarding the quality of service.
- You can read the reviews and decide.
- You’ll have flexibility with the booking cancellation with full refund without dealing with the tour operator.
- You’ll avoid yourself from all the hassle of arranging your flights, accommodation, entrance fees, taxes.
Note: You should make sure to check availability and book in advance to make the most of Istanbul’s New Year’s Eve celebrations, as the spaces are often limited.
*** Live Offers ***
Other ways to see Istanbul’s New Year’s Eve fireworks
– Party through the popular restaurants, cafes, bars, pubs and clubs of Istanbul and end the year on a high with dinner, music and dance; especially the ones situated through the Bosphorus shores to enjoy the prime views of the Istanbul fireworks from the outdoor spaces.
– Enjoy the night on the districts situated on the Bosphorus shores such as Galata, Karakoy, Taksim, Besiktas or Ortakoy to see the amazing views of the Istanbul New Year’s Eve fireworks.
– There are also many viewpoints that you can enjoy the Istanbul NYE Fireworks with panoramic views of the city, from historic places like towers, mosques and palaces, to rooftop terraces to groves and hilltops. See top places for the best views of Istanbul.
5. Restaurants & Clubs for NYE dining & partying
*** Live Offers ***
Restaurants for a special night
Many of the Istanbul restaurants offer a special NYE menu for their guests with fixed price, and include shows, fun and music. SeeBest Istanbul Restaurants
Rooftop Terraces to welcome the New Year
There’s nothing better than to enjoy the Istanbul’s NYE evening in one of the best terrace or rooftop restaurant or bar, in the company of panoramic views of the city. Seebest rooftop restaurants and bars in Istanbul.
Bars & Pubs for a lively night
You can find the best bars in Istanbul that you may spend great times with your family or friends from our Best Istanbul Bars page. Irish Pubs also offer lively and very friendly atmosphere and Istanbul also has great ones. You can find them from our Best Istanbul Irish Pubs page.
6. Istanbul Clubs to celebrate New Year’s Eve
For the ones who look for dance and fun the night away in Istanbul’s NYE, we can say that majority of the Istanbul clubs organize NYE parties. There’s plenty on offer and we highly recommend buying tickets in advance. SeeBest Istanbul Night Clubs
7. Day and evening NYE Istanbul ideas
– Visit popular streets and squares such as Istiklal Street, Nisantasi, Bagdat Street and Ortakoy Square, to enjoy the lively new year scene.
– Visit the famous shopping malls of Istanbul such as the Kanyon, Metrocity and Akmerkez in the Levent district; the Istinye Park in Maslak, the Cevahir in Mecidiyekoy to enjoy the New Year festivities like concerts and shows, and make shopping. See Best Istanbul Shopping Malls
– Take some of Istanbul’s top attractions, many of which are open during the day on New Year’s Eve.
8. Things to do on New Year’s Day
– Start the new year off with a Turkish breakfast in one of outdoor cafes or terrace restaurants and bars of the city.
– Hit the designer shops, shops at the famous streets and squares and shopping malls of Istanbul to pick up bargains in the January sales.
– See the city’s sights and sounds by hop on hop off tourist bus.
– Visit the charming museums of the city.
– Marvel at the New Year lights, which can still be spotted across the city, mostly at the famous streets and squares such as Istiklal Street, Nisantasi, Bagdat Street and Ortakoy Square.
– See more on our Istanbul on New Year’s Day page.
Top Selling Istanbul Sightseeing ToursFor both first time visitors and the ones want to experience and enjoy the Istanbul's highlights, we highly recommend this unique and tailor made sightseeing tours, offered by several quality agents.
We only suggest the proven ways and top rated ones with travelers’ comments. You can feel free to book one of the below top selling Istanbul culinary and food tours.
Free cancellation up to 24 hours before activity starts
Insider Tips for First Time Visitors* For time visitors to Istanbul should check and well plan the area to stay, best time to visit the city, best places to see and top attractions, how to save money, where to go for eating and shopping, airport transfer and public transportation, etc. to make the most of their Istanbul visit easy, budget, convenient, and safe.
* We recommend you to have some essential information first, before arriving Istanbul. Make sure you read our pages below.
- The best area to stay in Istanbul.
- How to get from New Istanbul airport to city center, Sabiha Gokcen airport to city center , or Galataport to city center quickly?
- How to get around the city easily?
- How to obtain IstanbulKart, city’s public transport card?
- Where to find discounted attraction tickets, and skip the lines, best guided tours, or sightseeing tours?
* So get an IstanbulKart as you can have access all the public transportation network of Istanbul. One ride is only 3,5 TL (about €0,5), and you can obtain this card (with 6 TL initial fee) at the ticket machines at any tram station.
* There are also guided tours with professional local guides that you can save yourself from the beggars, and people coming beside and ask for helping with guidance around or for money.
* We recommend you buy your attraction tickets online. This is by far the easiest and great value for money.
* Below, you’ll find our pick of the best and great value for money discount cards, and attraction tickets. You can be sure that we only suggest the proven and top rated ones with travelers’ comments. Our website visitors will also get extra 5% discount in some of the tours and tickets.
Tourist Discount Cards & Tickets AdviceIstanbul has several tourist discount cards. You'll have access to variety of major Istanbul attractions and services with a fixed price and save a lot. This is by far the most practical and cheapest way to explore Istanbul, as well as get airport transfer, public transportation card, unlimited internet, etc. Below you can see our recommendations. There is also Museum Pass for museum lovers.
Istanbul Welcome Card DeluxeThe is an innovative city pass. It includes fast track entry to 12 museums (Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Harem, Basilica Cistern, etc), 3 tours with historian guide, 20 rides with public transportation (IstanbulKart), Bosphorus Cruise and digital guide book and city map. It also offers 20% discounts at the most important Istanbul attractions on their shop. With this card you’ll skip the long ticket lines and not have to pick anything up.
Our website visitors will get 5% extra discount.
Istanbul Welcome Card PremiumValid for 7 days, free delivery to your hotel/airport pick-up and includes; Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace fast track entry tickets with 30 minutes guidance and Audio Guide App in 10 languages, Istanbulkart with 10 Rides, Bosphours Cruise (1,5 hours), Digital Guide Book and City Map.
Our website visitors will get 5% extra discount.
Combo Tickets for Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace & Basilica CisternValid for 3 days, digital pass, no need a printed ticket, guidance service with certified guides.
Our website visitors will get 5% extra discount.
Istanbul Tourist PassThis is a digital travel discount pass that is delivered to your phone upon your purchase online, and will be ready to use at your arrival. It includes 30+ attractions and services including skip the line access and guided museum tours, dinner cruise, hop-on & hop-off Bus, airport transfer, unlimited mobile internet, etc.
Guided Istanbul Highlights Tours AdviceWe recommend this kind of tours, especially for first time visitors. You are able to make the most of the city's sights and sounds with a private guide and save yourself from the hassle of making an ideal one day to 3 days plan. All will be made by professionals and you'll get skip the lines tickets, as well as pick-up and drop-off hotel transfer.
Highlights of Istanbul: 1 or 2-Day Private Guided TourThis is Get Your Guide's top selling and certified tour, which means it has gained one of the best traveler experiences.
You'll discover the magic of Istanbul on a private 1 or 2-day walking tour with skip the line tickets. Enjoy a river cruise and guided tour of the city highlights, including the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar, Dolmabahce Palace, and Istiklal Street.
Duration: 7 hours - 2 days
Live tour guide: English, Spanish, German, Japanese
Pick-up from the front desk of your hotel in Istanbul
Istanbul: 1, 2 or 3-Day Private Guided TourThis is also Get Your Guide's top selling tour. Has great traveler ratings and comments.
You'll see the sights of Istanbul that most interest you on a customized tour with private guide. Marvel at some of the city's most significant sights including Topkapi Palace, Chora Church, Basilica Cistern, Fener-Balat neighboorhood, and many more.
Duration: 7 hours - 3 days
Live tour guide: Spanish, English, French, German, Italian
Pickup is available from centrally-located hotels in Istanbul, by your guide on foot.
Istanbul in One Day Highlights TourThis is Get Your Guide's top selling tour. Has great traveler ratings and comments. You'll visit the iconic sites such as the Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, The Hippodrome, and the Grand Bazaar, learn the highlights of Istanbul from a local guide and discover the historical peninsula and learn the whole story of Istanbul.
Airport Transfers AdviceIstanbul has two international airports. You'll find all the transportation opportunities such as Airport Shuttle, Metro, Train, Taxi, Private Shuttle, etc. from the airports to the city center and vice versa from our pages below. HAVAIST Airport Shuttle for 18 TL (about €2,7), 1 hour shared shuttle for about €15 or 1 hour private shuttle for about €40. There are No direct metro lines to the airports.
Private & Shared ShuttlesIf you are a group or a family with kids or having lots of luggage with you, than we highly recommend you to take private shuttle transfers for your hotel as they offer a fixed rate, comfortable and safe transfer that include meet-and-greet airport pickups and luggage assistance to your hotel from the airports or vice versa.
This is a good option as while the Airport Shuttles or Public Buses will bring you only to the city center and you’ll need to take a taxi to reach your hotel which will seem to be harder for you, private shuttles will drive you just to the entrance of your hotel.
As for private shuttle transfers, we highly recommend Tranigo(a Turkish company operating since 1996, and partnered with renowned names like Hertz, Thrifty, Budget, and many reliable and efficient local suppliers) as we recently booked with them had a great trip to our hotel.
It offers low-priced, fixed rate private shuttles that include meet-and-greet airport pickups and luggage assistance. Their large selection of comfortable taxis, minivans, luxurious cars and 6-19+ passenger minibuses can match any need while ensuring quick and safe travels to and from New Istanbul Airport (IST) or Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW).
Below you can use the search box to find your prefect private or shared shuttle transfer service in between Istanbul airports and your hotel.