Here on this page, you can find detailed information and answer to the most common question “How to get from New Istanbul Airport (IST) to Istanbul city center, and vice versa?”. We put together all the transportation alternatives with our insider tips, to help you plan your trip between New Istanbul Airport (IST) and Istanbul city center with ease.
Some Practical Info & Advice
* New Istanbul Airport (IST) is situated on the north western part of Istanbul, on the Arnavutkoy district, close to the Black Sea coast.
Insider Advice: Kickstart your Istanbul adventure with the Istanbul E-Pass or Istanbul Tourist Pass. These passes provide free access to around 70+ top attractions, tours and essential local services in the city with around 70% savings.
* Average distance from the New Istanbul Airport to major Istanbul city center districts is about 45 km. Some distances to the districts; Avcilar 53 km., Gayrettepe 38 km., Taksim 40 km., Sutanahmet 45 km., Levent 36 km., Maslak 35 km., Kavacik 42 km., Uskudar 47 km., Kadikoy 52 km. and Pendik 73 km.
* It takes about 100 mins to get to Istanbul city center from IST.
* You can travel between New Istanbul Airport (IST) and city center directly by;
- IETT Municipal Public Bus,
- HAVAIST Airport Shuttle,
- M11 Istanbul Airport Metro Line,
- Shared Shuttle,
- Private Shuttle.
No Regrets Booking Advice
* Kagithane – Istanbul Airport metro line M11 was put into service on January 22, 2023. It operates between Istanbul Airport (IST) and Kagithane neighborhood. Read more on our New Istanbul Airport Metro Line Info page.
* For getting to New Istanbul Airport from city center; we recommend you to arrange your time as to be at the airport at least 1,5 hours for domestic flights and 2,5 hours for international flights from New Istanbul Airport.
* Regarding the minimum transfer time of average 1,5 hours plus 30 minutes possible traffic, etc, you should take your transfer to New Istanbul Airport from city center, at least 3,5 to 4,5 hours before your flight.
* You can read our below pages with district/neighborhood specific “how to get” guides.
- How to travel between New Istanbul Airport and Taksim?
- How to travel between New Istanbul Airport and Sultanahmet?
- How to travel between New Istanbul Airport and Besiktas?
- How to travel between New Istanbul Airport and Bakirkoy?
- How to travel between New Istanbul Airport and Sabiha Gokcen Airport?
Getting to/from New Istanbul Airport FAQs
How far is New Istanbul Airport from city center?
New Istanbul Airport (IST) is situated on the north western part of the city, close to the Black Sea coast, and about 45 kilometers from the many popular tourist districts and neighborhoods of the city.
How long does it take to get to city center from New Istanbul Airport?
It will take about at least 1 hour and 40 minutes to get to Istanbul city center from New Istanbul Airport.
What is the best way to get from New Istanbul Airport to city center?
We Highly Recommend These Fantastic Night-time Activities
How much is taxi from New Istanbul airport to city center?
Average taxi fee from the New Istanbul Airport to the popular city center neighborhoods within 45 km. would cost around 210 TRY.
Is there a metro station at New Istanbul Airport?
Kagithane – Istanbul Airport metro line M11 was put into service on January 22, 2023. It operates between Istanbul Airport (IST) and Kagithane neighborhood.
Which airport is best for Istanbul City Centre?
Istanbul is served by two major airports. Majority of the international flights arrive at New Istanbul Airport (IST), about 45 km. from the city center. Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) is on the Asian side, about 45 km. from the city center and also has a big number of domestic flights. If your hotel or place to spend your Istanbul days is in European side, than you should chose New Istanbul Airport.
How to Get to/from New Istanbul Airport / City Center?
There are several good options to get to the New Istanbul Airport (IST) from the city center and to the city center from the IST, such as public transportation buses and shuttles specifically routed for the IST, taxis, car rentals, shared or private shuttles. There is no direct metro line for the IST. You may see details and insider recommendations below.
The IETT (Municipal) public buses and HAVAIST (Istanbul Otobus A.S.) Airport Shuttles/Buses operate in between many districts of Istanbul and the New Istanbul Airport (IST).
by IETT Municipal Public Buses
The IETT Municipal Public Buses operate on a regular fixed route departing many destination from the city center.
* IETT Public Buses currently have 7 lines with line numbers; H-1, H-2, H-3, H-6, H-7, H-8 and H-9. For more information and timetables, visit the Municipality Public Buses to Airports website.
* Public Buses mostly operate to non tourist destinations. There are NO Public Buses for popular tourist districts and neighborhoods such as Sultanahmet, Taksim, Besiktas, Beyoglu, etc.
Municipal Public Buses take 2 full tickets price (15 TL x 2 = total 30 TL) by IstanbulKart, which is the public transportation card for Istanbul.
See up-to-date Timetables, Stops
H-1 Mahmutbey Metro – New Istanbul Airport
Stops: Mahmutbey Metro – Karacaoğlan İÖO. – İnönü Cad. – Halkalı Cad. – Pirireis – 15 Temmuz Mah. – Sanayi Mah. – İkitelli Köprü – New Istanbul Airport
H-2 Mecidiyeköy – New Istanbul Airport
Stops: Mecidiyeköy Metrobüs – Çağlayan Yolu – Nurtepe Viyadük – Karayolları 1. Bölge Müd. – Hasdal – Kemer Yolu – Orman Yolu – Kıyı Emniyeti – New Istanbul Airport
H-3 Halkali – New Istanbul Airport
Stops: Halkali Train Station … Halkalı Park … MASKO 2 – MASKO 1 – Demirciler Sitesi – New Istanbul Airport
H-6 Mescid-i Selam/Arnavutkoy – New Istanbul Airport
Stops: Mescid-i Selam … Arnavutkoy … Sancaktepe … Terkos Yolu – Çamlıktepe – Mesire Yeri – New Istanbul Airport
H-7 Alibeyköy Cep Otogarı- New Istanbul Airport
Stops: Alibeyköy Cep Otogarı – F.S.M. Bulvarı – Bayramoğlu – … Kemerburgaz … New Istanbul Airport
H-8 Haciosman/Sarıyer – New Istanbul Airport
Stops: Haciosman …. Acarlar … Zekeriyaköy Yolu – Demirciköy Yolu … Kilyos Mezarlığı – New Istanbul Airport
H-9 Cevizlibağ – New Istanbul Airport
Stops: Cevizlibağ – Nakliyeciler Sitesi – Tınaztepe – Kocatepe – İncirli (E5) –Bahçelievler – Çocuk Sitesi – Ataköy Geçit – Şirinevler – Kuleli – Kültür Üniversitesi – New Istanbul Airport
by HAVAIST Airport Shuttles/Buses
The HAVAIST Airport Shuttles/Buses operate on a regular fixed route, around 50 destinations in the city. Payments are made only with IstanbulKart (Istanbul’s Public Transport Card) or Credit Card (by downloading Mobile App and QR Code).
* HVIST-5, HVIST-6, HVIST-8, HVIST-9, HVIST-10, HVIST-12, HVIST-13, HVIST-14, HVIST-15 and HVIST-16
HVIST-5 (Esenler Intercity Bus Terminal – New Istanbul Airport)
Stops: Esenler Otogar – Otogar Yolu – Hasdal – New Istanbul Airport
Duration: 75 minutes
Distance: 50 km.
HVIST-6 (Halkali – Basaksehir – New Istanbul Airport)
Stops: Halkali Train Station – Konut Birlik – Kanuni S.S.H. Entrance – Cimentepe – Ataturk Mah. (Arenapark) – Demirciler Sitesi (Mall Off) – Basaksehir Metrokent – New Istanbul Airport
Duration: 90 minutes
Distance: 45 km.
HVIST-8 (Beylikduzu – Catalca – New Istanbul Airport)
Stops: Beylikduzu Marmarapark Shopping Mall – Cumhuriyet Mahallesi – TUYAP – Buyukcekmece – Tepecik – Catalca State Hospital – New Istanbul Airport
Duration: 90 minutes
Distance: 67 km.
HVIST-9 (Avcilar – Bahcesehir – New Istanbul Airport)
Stops: Avcilar Mosque – Haramidere San.Sit. (Torium) – Bahcesehir – Ispartakule Bloklari – New Istanbul Airport
Duration: 120 minutes
Distance: 68 km.
HVIST-10 (Bakirkoy – Yenibosna – New Istanbul Airport)
Stops: Bakirkoy Seabus Port – Ataköy 3. Kisim – Sirinevler – Kuleli – New Istanbul Airport
Duration: 80 minutes
Distance: 50 km.
HVIST-12 (Beyazit Square – Aksaray – New Istanbul Airport)
Stops: Beyazit Square – Aksaray – Ulubatli – Ayvansaray – Nurtepe Viyaduk – New Istanbul Airport
Duration: 90 minutes
Distance: 53 km.
HVIST-13 (Sabiha Gokcen Airport – New Istanbul Airport)
Stops: Sabiha Gokcen Airport – New Istanbul Airport
Duration: 110 minutes
Distance: 109 km.
HVIST-14 (Kadikoy – New Istanbul Airport)
Stops: Kadikoy – Acibadem Metro – Yenisahra- Tepeustu – Kavacik Bridge – New Istanbul Airport
Duration: 120 minutes
Distance: 75 km.
HVIST-15 (Besiktas – New Istanbul Airport)
Stops: Besiktas – Zincirlikuyu Metrobus – 4.Levent – New Istanbul Airport
Duration: 75 minutes
Distance: 45 km.
HVIST-16 (Taksim – New Istanbul Airport)
Stops: Taksim – Piyalepasa – Nurtepe Viyaduk – New Istanbul Airport
Duration: 90 minutes
Distance: 48 km.
Read more from our HAVAIST New Istanbul Airport Shuttles page.
Notice: Please double check the HAVAIST routes, timetables, trip fares and payment options from HAVAIST’s official website on hava.ist as all changes frequently due to this pandemic year’s situation.
You can pay by credit or debit card inside the vehicle. You can also take HAVAIST bus via QR Code by online through Havaist Mobile Application or website. No cash accepted.
As of January 2023, there is a direct metro line between Istanbul airport and city center. The M11 Kagithane – Istanbul Airport metro line operates between Istanbul Airport (IST) and Kagithane neighborhood.
The M11 Istanbul Airport metro line is 34 kilometers in total with 7 stations. The train comes every 8 minutes, from 06:00am to 23:59pm and will get you to the Kagithane in about 27 minutes.
Kagithane – Istanbul Airport Metro Line M11 Stops
- Istanbul Airport
- Cargo terminal
Read more on our New Istanbul Airport Metro Line Info page.
From the New Istanbul Airport (IST), you may take the airport taxis. There are three types of taxis service, comprised of black “E” type, blue “D” type, and orange “C” types.
You get from IST to the city center by the local taxis. The taxi-meter switch on price is 12,65 TL (14,55 TL for D segment turquoise and E segment luxury taxis) and 8,51 TL per kilometer (9,79 TL for D segment turquoise and E segment luxury taxis). There is no day and night difference.
If we make a calculation, regarding you will take a local taxi from the Istanbul city center within an average distance of 45 km from the major districts, the taxi fare for IST will be around 400 TL. You may calculate approx. taxi fare by using this formula.
Read more on our Istanbul Taxi Guide (Fares, Tips) page for Istanbul taxis.
by Private & Shared Shuttles
If you are a group or a family with kids or having lots of luggage with you, than we highly recommend you to take private shuttle transfers for your hotel as they offer a fixed rate, comfortable and safe transfer that include meet-and-greet airport pickups and luggage assistance to your hotel from the airports or vice versa.
The IETT or HAVAIST airport shuttles will drop you off at the city center and you’ll need to take a taxi or walk from there again which will harder for you with your kids and luggage. But private transfers drives you just to the entrance of your hotel.
As for private shuttle transfers, there are 2 options to consider. We highly recommend Tranigo and AirportTransfer.com (partnered with renowned names like Hertz, Thrifty, Budget, and many reliable and efficient local suppliers) as we recently booked with them had a great trip to our hotel.
Tranigo is a Turkish company operating since 1996 and offers low-priced, fixed rate private shuttles that include meet-and-greet airport pickups and luggage assistance. Their large selection of comfortable taxis, minivans, luxurious cars and 6-19+ passenger minibuses can match any need while ensuring quick and safe travels to and from New Istanbul Airport (IST). And they are faster and more comfortable than shuttles, buses and taxis.
Below you can click on the destination you need an airport transfer or make a search from the search box under to find your prefect private or shared shuttle transfer service in between New Istanbul Airport and your hotel.
- New Istanbul Airport <-> Sultanahmet (Old City)
- New Istanbul Airport <-> Taksim (Beyoglu)
- New Istanbul Airport <-> Sabiha Gokcen Airport
- New Istanbul Airport <-> Kadikoy – Atasehir – Bostanci – Umraniye
- New Istanbul Airport <-> Yenikapi – Aksaray, Laleli, Beyazit
- New Istanbul Airport <-> Besiktas – Ortakoy
- New Istanbul Airport <-> Sisli – Mecidiyekoy – Bomonti – Caglayan
- New Istanbul Airport <-> Bakirkoy – Yenibosna – Zeytinburnu
- New Istanbul Airport <-> Karakoy – Galata
- New Istanbul Airport <-> Sirkeci – Eminonu
- New Istanbul Airport <-> Levent – Maslak – Etiler – Zincirlikuyu
Airporttransfer.com is another great airport transfer company that you are to find many transport options with very affordable prices.You can book a private airport transfer from Ist airport to Istanbul city centre with a 100% refund privilege!
Airporttransfer.com offers a hassle-free transfer service for all airport passengers.
- Disinfected hygienic means
- Vehicle options classified according to your needs (such as Limousine, Sedan, Minivan)
- End-to-end private transfer service
- Local drivers who speak foreign languages
- The best price-performance privilege
- A friendly welcome in family comfort
- Additional service options for your needs (Pet friendly, Red Carpet, Car Seat, Booster, Elderly Assistance and more)
- Easy booking
- Reliable online payment method
- 100% refund guarantee
Below you can make a search from the search box under to find your prefect private or shared shuttle transfer service in between New Istanbul Airport and your hotel.