Last Updated on October 1, 2020
Medical and health tourism is growing very fast across global markets in the recent years. Turkey also invests millions of dollars to support the increase in this demand with long-term strategies and so Istanbul is already working hard to take place on top for the race. For the ones who are interested in taking care of their medical issues across the border, here you can find our guide to what you can find in Istanbul for medical and health tourism.
Over 20 million people travel worldwide for medical treatments and operations. US, South Korea, Turkey, Thailand, Germany, India, UK, Malaysia, Mexico and Iran are the top 10 countries that are mostly visited by medical tourists for their accredited hospitals, quality of service and affordable healthcare.
Majority of the medical tourists prefer to travel for medical and health tourism for
- Cosmetic & Aesthetic surgery such as rhinoplasty, breast augmentation, liposuction, face-nose-chin-body-hip aesthetics, dermatology and gynecology
- Hair Transplant operations
- Dermatological treatments such as acne, dermatitis, eczema, fungal infection, rosacea, skin cancer, herpes or warts
- Dentistry such as dental implants, whitening, dental treatments and care
- Cardiology & heart surgery such as bypass and valve replacement
- Laser eye operations
- Orthopedic surgeries
- Oncologic treatments
- Check-ups, scans, diagnostics, and many other treatments
Turkey is listed in the top 10 countries that takes the big number of medical tourists for its accredited hospitals with the latest technology, quality, affordable healthcare, thermal springs, natural hot spring water resources, and world renowned hospitality in the past few years. Over 2,000,000 medical tourists visit Turkey from all over the world for health tourism.
And Istanbul comes first when it’s about the medical and health tourism in Turkey, especially for those coming from Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
What is Health Tourism?
Health tourism offer a range of treatments including;
- Medical tourism offering treatment and surgery in the hospitals,
- Thermal tourism offering rehabilitation in thermal facilities,
- Elderly and disabled tourism offering long-term stays and combined with social activities in geriatric treatment centers.
Majority of the medical tourists visit Istanbul and Turkey for dental treatment, plastic surgery, cosmetic operations, optical care, laser eye surgery, liposuction, nose surgery, hair transplant, aesthetic surgery, bariatric surgery, organ transplant, several neurological, oncological, and orthopedic treatments.
Several come for rehabilitation in the many popular thermal facilities.
The prices of medical treatments and surgeries in Istanbul and Turkey are very low when compared to other top destinations in the world.
Besides low prices, the all inclusive quality services along over 300 modern and high quality hospitals with very good doctors and staff also make Turkey a popular medical and health tourism center in the world.
A Global Destination on Health Tourism
Istanbul is a leading global destination and medical tourism center in Europe and Asia for its world class hospitals with high class and technology, excellent service with very reasonable prices, as well as quality hotels, accommodation, easy transportation and tourism opportunities. Thanks to its excellent location between Europe and Asia.
In addition, medical tourists and patients can save up to at least 50% when compared top other destinations in the world.
Istanbul is also a great destination combining medical and health tourism with its wellness and SPA in its many 5-star hotels and centers.
Quality of Service
The majority of the health institutions in Istanbul and Turkey offer high quality of service for sure.
They are all approved by the international organizations including JCI (Joint Commissions International), JCAOH (Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations) and ISO (International Organization for Standardization).
Personalized Services You Can Take
You can take all the necessary concierge services for your medical trip to Istanbul, Turkey from the clinics or hospitals for sure. Below are a summary of what you’ll get.
- Your coordination of the doctor, clinic, hospital and diagnostic appointments
- A to Z VIP and concierge services
- Translation services
- 24-hour emergency services
- Travel arrangements such as visas, airport to hotel pick-up and drop off, etc.
- A comprehensive discussion with costs to your desired outcome
- Your accommodation plan that best suits your needs
Tips – Know Before You Travel
Here are some of the useful tips you should know before you make your medical trip to Istanbul, Turkey. Knowing these will save you from possible difficulties and make an easy and comfortable travel.
- Ask your local healthcare expert to make sure that your health condition is available for traveling to another country.
- Make sure you have all your health records, reports, medicines you take, and keep them in a safe and easy to access place.
- Check your passport, travel insurance and if you need a visa, than arrange it.
- Double check your flight information and make sure your correct ID is written on the airline ticket.
- Obtain Turkish Lira in cash. You can obtain it from your home town or at the Turkish airports upon your arrival.
- Check the details of your arrival pick-up airport service
- Check the details of your accommodation service
- Check the details of the person that you’ll contact at the clinic or hospitals
Istanbul Turkey Medical & Health Tourism FAQs
What is medical or health tourism?
Medical tourism is the type of tourism that the patients travel abroad from their country of residence for the purpose of having and medical or health care or treatment.
Which is the best country for medical tourism?
US, South Korea, Turkey, Thailand, Germany, India, UK, Malaysia, Mexico and Iran are listed in the the top 10 countries for health and medical tourism in the world. Turkey is the 3rd the most visited country with the medical tourists.
Why medical tourists chose Istanbul and Turkey the most?
The top reasons that why people come visit Istanbul or Turkey for medical and health tourism include;
* Turkey is recently have listed on top 3 countries in the world for the medical tourism procedures.
* Accredited and very well-equipped Clinics and Hospitals with the latest technology, quality, and world-class surgeons and doctors.
* Affordable healthcare and high quality health services.
* Very competitive prices, about 70% cheaper when compared to the rest of Europe, UK or US.
* Turkey's reputation of its hospitality and culture.
* The geographical location.
* Istanbul's being one of the most beautiful cities in the world offering great tourist attractions.
Top Medical & Health Tourism Areas in Istanbul
Medical Check-Ups & Health Screening
Full medical check-ups have become a popular and most common type of medical procedures throughout the world since a few years. These life saving check-ups are very important because you are able to have a better understanding of your current health’s status and take the preventative measures on time.
Especially if you are over 40, you can book yourself into one of these best health and medical check-up clinics and hospitals in Istanbul and see your stamina status in a very economic and comfortable way.
Cosmetic & Aesthetic Surgery & Treatment
Cosmetic, aesthetic and plastic surgery have become one of the most trending treatments throughout the world since a couple of years. People come visit these clinics for mostly rhinoplasty, breast augmentation, liposuction, face-nose-chin-body-hip aesthetics, dermatology and gynecology to have a better self-esteem, confidence and physical appearance.
If you feel like you are into a cosmetic and aesthetic surgery soon, than read our guide and book yourself into one of these best cosmetic and aesthetic clinics in Istanbul and enjoy your new look with a very economic and beautiful way.
Hair transplants are one of the most popular cosmetic treatments throughout the world. The hair loss can be something that may put the men through a panic and panic than can lead to a depressive situation, and avoid social activities.
If you feel like you’re gonna have a hair loss soon, than read our guide and book yourself into one of these best hair transplant clinics in Istanbul and enjoy your new life with a very economic and joyful way.
Dental Implant & Dental Care
Many look for good value for money dental implant and many other dental treatments with high quality of service to restore their smile. While dental implants are very expensive in many countries especially in Europe and UK, people prefer to have this treatment in other good countries such as Turkey and Istanbul.
If you feel like you’ll be through a dental implant and dental care soon, than book yourself into one of these best dental implant clinics in Istanbul and enjoy your new teeth and look of your mouth with a very economic and classy way with the award-winning dentists.
Dermatology & Skincare
In the normal daily life your skin can be affected with lots of unknown and unexpected conditions and can cause diseases on your skin, including scalp, hair and nails.
If you see you have acne, dermatitis, eczema, fungal infection, vitiligo, hair disorder, problem with nails, psoriasis, rosacea, skin cancer, shingles, hirsutism, moles, fungal infections of the skin, herpes or warts, than book yourself into one of these best dermatology clinics and hospitals in Istanbul and let your skin back to normal in a joyful way.
Laser Eye Surgery (LASIK)
Laser eye surgery (LASIK) is one of the most followed eye treatments throughout the world. Laser is a common method for refractive surgeries, and it is also used for myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism treatments.
If you feel like you need an eye care in good hands, than book yourself into one of these best laser eye surgery (LASIK) clinics in Istanbul and enjoy your new life with a very economic and sightful way.
Cardiology & Heart Care
Cardiology and heart care is very important for us all specially if we have a family story. Heart is the most sensitive parts of the human body and the related problems should be determined quickly and handled with caution.
If you want full heart and cardiology check, need a heart surgery or treatment with your heart with the highest quality of care for your health without compromise, than book yourself into one of these best cardiology hospitals and heart surgery clinics in Istanbul with the best cardiologists and save your heart to prevent problems in your future life.
Hit Us in the Comments Below
So have you enjoyed a great medical and health tourism journey in Istanbul and was it worth all the hype?
If you have questions about any branch of medical and health tourism procedures, hospitals, clinics, surgeons, or any comments about how we can improve this resource, please please hit us up in the comments below.
We are always here to answer any question you’ll have for your medical and health tourism search in Istanbul or Turkey, even the most ridiculous ones.
And don’t hesitate to join the Istanbul Medical & Health Tourism discussion here, as you can ask any questions, complaints, happy moments, and chat with thousands of patients. So fire it up!
We'd be so glad by giving us a like below and join our Facebook page, where you can also ask any questions, share your Istanbul experiences, pictures, yell out complaints, and chat with thousands of Istanbul travelers.