Last Updated on September 26, 2020
“How to get from New Istanbul Airport (IST) to Sultanahmet, and vice versa?” is one of the most common questions for those both living in Istanbul and visiting Istanbul. Here, we put together all the transportation alternatives with our insider tips, to help you plan your New Istanbul Airport (IST) to Sultanahmet trip with ease.
Some Practical Information
* New Istanbul Airport (IST) is situated on the north eastern part of Istanbul, on the Arnavutkoy district, close to the Black Sea coast.
* Distance from the IST to Sutanahmet is about 47 km.
* It takes about 100 mins to get to Sultanahmet from IST, and vice versa.
* You can travel between New Istanbul Airport (IST) and Sultanahmet directly by;
- Private Shuttle.
* As there is NO direct Airport Shuttle to Sultanahmet from IST, the Private Shuttle is the most comfortable and convenient way to travel between New Istanbul Airport (IST) and Sultanahmet, and also for Eminonu.
* If you want to take the HAVAIST Airport Shuttle, you should take the shuttle operating to Aksaray and Yenikapi. Nearest stop to Sultanahmet is Aksaray (about 4,5 km. to Sultanahmet Square). You should take a 10 minutes tram ride from Aksaray to reach Sultanahmet.
* There is NO direct Municipal Public Bus operating between IST and Sultanahmet.
Insider Advice for Departures
* For getting to New Istanbul Airport (IST) from Sultanahmet; we recommend you to arrange your time as to be at the airport at least 1,5 hours for domestic flights and 2,5 hours for international flights.
* You’ll possibly wait in the queue on the main entrance, airline’s counter, check-in process, passenger lounge entrance, flight ticket and passport control.
* Since the airport is very huge one, you’ll need to walk from one point to another inside the airport, about at least 15 minutes.
* For International flights; if the check-in process is not completed at the latest 60 minutes before the scheduled departure time, than the passenger loses all rights on the ticket and the flight.
* Therefore, we highly recommend you to go to the airport early.
* Regarding the minimum transfer time from Sultanahmet to New Istanbul Airport, of average 1,5 hours plus 30 minutes possible traffic, etc, you should take your transfer to New Istanbul Airport from city center, at least 3,5 to 4,5 hours before your flight.
IST to Sultanahmet Transport Options
HAVAIST Airport Shuttle/Bus
We don’t recommend this for the ones traveling with luggage and families. Because you’ll need to use 2 transport vehicles.
* You can take the HAVAIST Airport Shuttle Number HVIST-15, operating in between New Istanbul Airport and Yenikapi.
* You should drop-off at Aksaray stop. And than take a taxi or tram to access Sultanahmet, within 4,5 km. distance. Aksaray tram station is located about 650 meters from Aksaray Metro Station.
* We recommend you take Private Shuttle as to avoid walking and switching transport vehicles, and have a direct, comfortable and convenient way to travel between New Istanbul Airport (IST) and Sultanahmet, and also for Eminonu.
* Operates for 24 hrs.
* Average duration is 100 mins.
* HAVAIST Buses take maximum 46 passengers at once.
Where is the HVIST-15 Stop in Aksaray?
It will drop you near the Aksaray Metro Station. (see location map)
HVIST-15 (Yenikapı – Aksaray – New Istanbul Airport)
Stops: Yenikapi Coast – Yenikapı Marmaray – Aksaray – Ulubatli – Ayvansaray – Nurtepe Viyaduk – New Istanbul Airport
Notice: Please double check the HAVAIST routes, timetables and trip fares from HAVAIST’s official website hava.ist
HAVAIST Ticket Price
* HAVAIST average one way ticket price between Aksaray-New Istanbul Airport is 25 TL.
* You can’t buy tickets in advance. You need to pay it just after you enter the bus.
How to Pay?
* You can pay via credit card, bank card or ISTANBULKART (Istanbul’s Public Transport Card). No cash accepted.
* You can obtain ISTANBULKART and load credit from the Kiosks at the New Istanbul Airport upon your arrival.
* If you already have ISTANBULKART with you, you can download and install ISTANBULKART Mobile Application to your mobile phone, and load credit by your credit card. Read more about how to obtain and load credit to it on our ISTANBULKART page.
Get QR Code via Credit Card
* If you want to pay by Credit Card, than you’ll need to download and install HAVAIST Mobile Application to your mobile phone, or from HAVAIST website (https://hava.ist/en), deposit credit via your credit card.
* And than you enter the bus by scanning the QR code that you’ll receive to your mobile phone, to the device on the bus.
Get QR Code via Istanbul Welcome Card Service
* This is the best option if you don’t have IstanbulKart with you, and also easier way to get the QR Code by downloading and installing HAVAIST Mobile APP and entering your details, pay via credit card, etc.
* With Istanbul Welcome Card’s HAVAIST QR Code service, you’ll immediately get the QR Code to your mobile phone, to enter the HAVAIST. Just scan it to the device and get on the bus.
* The service includes Unlimited Luggage, Free WiFi and USB charger on bus, One way transfer Istanbul Airport to City or City to Airport, 10% Discount at the Istanbul Welcome Card shop, Istanbul E-Booklet
Price: €5 per person
Re-booking and cancellation is free of charge up to 12 hours before your arrival.
* You get from New Istanbul Airport (IST) to Sultanahmet by the local taxis.
* According to the 2019 taxi fares, the taxi-meter switch on price is 5 TL and 3,10 TL per kilometer. There is no day and night difference.
* Average taxi fare from New Istanbul Airport to Sultanahmet will be around 160-170 TL.
* Read more on our Istanbul Taxi Guide page for Istanbul taxis.
Private & Shared Shuttles
* If you are a group or a family with kids or having lots of luggage with you, than we highly recommend private shuttle transfers for your hotel in Sultanahmet as they offer a fixed rate, comfortable and safe transfer that include meet-and-greet airport pickups and luggage assistance to your hotel in Sultanahmet from New Istanbul Airport (IST) or from your hotel to the airport.
* When you take HAVAIST airport shuttle, it will drop you off at the Sultanahmet Square, and you’ll need to walk or take a taxi from there again which will be difficult for you with your kids and luggage. But private transfers drives you just to the entrance of your hotel.
* As for private shuttle transfers between New Istanbul Airport and Sultanahmet, we highly recommend Tranigo (a Turkish company operating since 1996, and partnered with renowned names like Hertz, Thrifty, Budget, and many reliable and efficient local suppliers) as we recently booked with them had a great trip to our hotel.
It offers low-priced, fixed rate private shuttles that include meet-and-greet airport pickups and luggage assistance.
* Their large selection of comfortable taxis, minivans, luxurious cars and 6-19+ passenger minibuses can match any need while ensuring quick and safe travels. Faster and more comfortable than shuttles, buses and taxis. Free cancellation. All prices include fees & tip.
We'd be so glad by giving us a like below and join our Facebook page, where you can also ask any questions, share your Istanbul experiences, pictures, yell out complaints, and chat with thousands of Istanbul travelers.